Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost boots

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown:

We're getting ready to go spend a couple days on Mt Rainier, and I can't find my hiking boots. This is terrible! They're my perfect-fit boots, nicely broken in but still in good shape. This is our first time out hiking this year...I don't even remember the last place I wore them.

I hate to think I may have taken them on a trip and left them there...:cry: !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    Do they have sentimenal value for you ?
    Could you not like the idea to get brand new ones ? :smile:

4. Jul 3, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ask Wolram, his shoes and things go missing all of the time, they may be at his cottage.

You don't want to break in new boots on a hiking trip. OUCH!!

5. Jul 3, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really hate shopping in general. The whole experience always leaves me drained...finding what I want (I am sort of picky), dealing with sales people, parting with my hard-earned cash.

And shopping for shoes is awful. Almost as bad as shopping for bras.

There's a long shot that the boots are in the back of my car, but my daughter is driving it to her class right now. Sigh.

6. Jul 3, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woolie, check your closet...are my boots there?!?

7. Jul 3, 2008 #6
    You live in WA?

8. Jul 3, 2008 #7
    Just wear high heels. You'll look sexier to all the bears.

9. Jul 3, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These boots were made for walking
    And that's just what they'll do
    One of these days those boots are gonna walk away from you...
    :biggrin:

I think there must be some boot underground or speakeasy that they all sneak off to when folks aren't looking. Hope you find them. That would be awful to have to break in a new pair. And, yeah, when you find ones that fit JUST right, having to shop for a new pair is horrendous.

10. Jul 3, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Have you looked on your feet? When my glasses go missing, I sometimes find them on my head.

11. Jul 3, 2008 #10
    Reason that wouldnt work is a few days is not enough time to break them it, and hiking boots are arguably the most important to have broken in.

12. Jul 3, 2008 #11
    Did you check your feet?

13. Jul 3, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

And slower and easier to turn into a meal....

14. Jul 3, 2008 #13
    Hey, you stole EXACTLY what I was thinking :grumpy:!

15. Jul 3, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I live in western Washington.

Guess I'll have to hike in running shoes...too bad, because there's still snow on some hills. Looks like we'll have to stick to lower elevations.

16. Jul 3, 2008 #15
    I could let you borrow mine! :uhh: But I may use mine too....:wink:

Find them boots! A girl without hiking boots in the Pac Northwest is like,...... well.... it isn't a good thing. And have a good time on your hike! Careful of the lightning though. Haven't heard any thunder in a couple of hours, but I heard it is expected to continue through the weekend.

17. Jul 3, 2008 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The lightning has been really cool lately :surprised! Now I know many folks on PF are thinking, lightning, so what? But in western Washington we only see it once in a blue moon.

18. Jul 3, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I'd gladly send you some of ours. We have been in a really crappy weather pattern - almost every day, we get electrical storms and torrential rains. Yesterday, we were pelted with pea-sized hail - luck that didn't get any bigger because the winds were driving it sideways at about 50 mph and I feared for the window-glass.

19. Jul 3, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hiking with lightning? :bugeye: :surprised Yep, we definitely need to open up that PF Infirmary. :uhh:

20. Jul 3, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Yep, you need to get the ER staff on alert. lisab is going to be out on an exposed outcropping and when she sees some pretty lightning, she'll point at it with her aluminum hiking staff and say "look at that"!

21. Jul 3, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I'll post pictures when I get back on Sunday - bye!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?