1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost in a Problem

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What I have is 3x-8/x^2-5x+6+x+2

2. Relevant equations Haven't come upon any as of yet...

3. The attempt at a solution My attempt was solve for x, but as I was solving I tried doing each part differently and I came out with 1.5 as an answer. So here are my steps...

3x-8: Don't know what happened, but my answer was -5.

x^2-5x+6+x+2: Here is where more confusion arises... What I did was try and solve the x variables again; add x^2 to -5x, and my outcome was 5x+x^2, then I subtracted x from 5x+x^2 and the outcome was 5x+x^2-x, from there I ended up with -4.

x^2-6x+8: Here I did basically the same as the second part and ended up with -2.

.625, and -1.5 are my answers so far... And, I am lost now and in need of support.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2
    You need to state your problem better. You don't have an = sign, so there's nothing to solve.

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    like christian said, you first need to restate your problem, so we would know what what to deal with. You cannot solve that equation unless ther is an "=" sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?