Understanding Projectile Motion: A Grade 11 Student's Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses a grade 11 student's struggle with understanding the concept of Projectile motion in their Physics course. They have asked for help and a resource called Hyperphysics is recommended. The basic principle of Projectile motion is explained, along with how to determine the desired range of a projectile using physics.
Tomie
Hello I am currently a grade 11 student taking a 11U Physics course and we are nearly done our Kinematics unit and are finishing up Projectile motion. When i asked my teacher to explain the concept behind Projectile motion, i understood what a projectile is and what causes it (the force of gravity acting on a an object) but i don't understand much beyond that, any and all help is welcomed

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tomie!

A good resource for learning projectile motion is Hyperphysics, which might clear up some things.

If you have a more specific question, maybe we could be of more use.

The basic principle behind projectile motion is, "What goes up, must come down."

If a projectile is fired, you are interested in how far it will travel or how high above the ground its path will take it before the projectile falls back to earth.
If you know how far you want the projectile to travel (i.e., its range), you can use the physics of projectile motion to determine the best angle of launch and initial speed of the projectile to achieve this desired range.

The basic principle behind projectile motion is, "What goes up, must come down."

If a projectile is fired, you are interested in how far it will travel or how high above the ground its path will take it before the projectile falls back to earth.
If you know how far you want the projectile to travel (i.e., its range), you can use the physics of projectile motion to determine the best angle of launch and initial speed of the projectile to achieve this desired range.

It's great to hear that you are interested in understanding projectile motion. I can provide some additional information to help you better understand the concept.

Firstly, it's important to understand that projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This can include objects such as balls, arrows, or even rockets.

One key aspect to understanding projectile motion is the concept of trajectory. This refers to the path that a projectile takes as it moves through the air. It is affected by both the initial velocity (the speed and direction at which the object is launched) and the force of gravity acting on the object.

Another important factor is air resistance. As a projectile moves through the air, it experiences resistance which can affect its trajectory and ultimately its landing position. This can be seen in real-life situations such as a basketball being affected by air resistance as it travels through the air towards the hoop.

To better understand projectile motion, it can be helpful to break it down into two components: horizontal motion and vertical motion. The horizontal motion is affected by the initial velocity and remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical motion is affected by gravity and changes over time.

I would also recommend experimenting with different launch angles and initial velocities to see how they affect the trajectory of a projectile. This can help solidify your understanding of the concept.

I hope this helps you better understand projectile motion. Don't hesitate to ask your teacher or do some additional research to deepen your knowledge on the subject. Keep up the curiosity and good luck with your studies!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in the motion of a projectile.

3. How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch determines the shape of the projectile's trajectory. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees. A lower angle will result in a shorter distance, while a higher angle will result in a higher arc and a shorter distance.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can slow down a projectile and change its trajectory. The greater the surface area of the projectile, the greater the air resistance will be.

5. How is projectile motion used in real-life applications?

Projectile motion is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to predict the trajectory of objects such as rockets, bullets, and baseballs. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as launching satellites into orbit.