Understanding Derivatives: Finding the Derivative of y=2x^2-5

In summary, Dan was working on a problem but was having trouble figuring out what he was doing wrong. He was eventually able to figure it out and thanked the people who helped him.
chrisdapos
Hello, today my teacher presented us with the concept of derivatives. I was okay in class, but when I got home, I was completely lost. Using the definition (f(x+h) - f(x))/h, we have to fine the derivative of y=2x^2 - 5. I know the answer is 4x from the back of the book, but I can't understand how to get it. Am I factoring something wrong? I get to a point of simplification that everything just cancels out. Your help is greatly appriciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition you want to use is this:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex]

Now, set [itex]f(x)=2x^2-5[/itex] and insert this in the expression, simplify and take the limit.

Quick check: When you expand the numerator, f(x+h)-f(x), you should get an expression that cancels the h in the denominator.

-Dan

my problem is when i simplify, i get 0 over 0...i don't know why...i can't get the h to go away in the denominator

chrisdapos said:
my problem is when i simplify, i get 0 over 0...i don't know why...i can't get the h to go away in the denominator

[tex] f(x+h)=2(x+h)^2-5=2x^2+4xh+2h^2-5 [/tex]
and
[tex] f(x)=2x^2-5 [/tex]
So when you subtract the two you get...

-Dan

Last edited:
Then you must be doing something wrong. Remember this: If [itex]f(x)=2x^2-5[/itex], what is then [itex]f(x+h)[/itex]? Check your calculations again.

Thank you so much guys! Wow i feel dumb...turns out i was just plugging the functions in wrong. Thank you so much!

chrisdapos said:
Thank you so much guys! Wow i feel dumb...turns out i was just plugging the functions in wrong. Thank you so much!

Hey, as I always tell my students: it's only a dumb question when you DON'T ask it! :biggrin:

-Dan

1. What are lost learning derivatives?

Lost learning derivatives refer to the skills and knowledge that students fail to learn or retain during their education, resulting in a lack of mastery in certain subject areas.

2. How do lost learning derivatives occur?

Lost learning derivatives can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as ineffective teaching methods, lack of resources, or personal factors like a student's learning disabilities or external distractions.

3. What impact do lost learning derivatives have on students?

Lost learning derivatives can have a significant impact on students, as they can lead to academic struggles, lower grades, and a lack of confidence in their abilities. It can also affect their future educational and career opportunities.

4. Can lost learning derivatives be recovered?

Yes, lost learning derivatives can be recovered through targeted interventions and support. Teachers can use various strategies to help students catch up on missed concepts and skills, such as differentiated instruction, one-on-one tutoring, and review sessions.

5. How can we prevent lost learning derivatives?

To prevent lost learning derivatives, it is crucial to have effective teaching practices and a supportive learning environment. This includes using a variety of instructional methods, providing resources and support to students, and addressing any learning barriers or challenges they may face.