Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost object finder

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    I can't find my bank card and its times like this when I think about a device that should be ubiquitous in this day and age. Could you not get a pack of cheap active RFID tags and use a receiver tuned into the particular frequencies emitted by them to tell you the objects distance from where you are now? Imagine how much easier that would make life. You put a tag on all your essential items such as car keys, wallets, bank cards etc. and write down the frequency for each tag then when you lose something, you tune your receiver into the frequency assigned to the item then track it down. Can you buy a device like this that you can use to track down active RFID tags?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2
    Now where did I put that darned RFID receiver?

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: Good one. Seriously though I hate loosing things and I do it all the time. Never anything major; I'm perfectly organised when it comes to important documents, my wallet etc but I'm always misplacing little things (right now I can't find my phone case for example). I wish I could RFID everything and then stick the receiver in my arm.

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4
    This looks cool: http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/11/03/key-control/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Nov 15, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I guarantee that if I use this I would never loose any stickered item ever again and instead would begin loosing everything else.

7. Nov 15, 2011 #6

Hepth

Gold Member

That looks amazing actually. Unfortunately its only a concept and theres no actual product...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook