1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost on magnitude

1. Oct 5, 2004 #1
    A person weighting 0.6kN rides in an elevator that has a downward acceleration of 1.4m/s^2. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the force of the elevator floor on the person? Answer in units of kN.

--

A 1317.9 kg car is coasting along a level road of 33 m/s. A constant breaking force is applied,such that the car is stopped in a distance of 63.7 m. What is the magnitude of the breaking force? Answer in units of N.

--

A 12000 kg sailboat experiences an eastward force 28300 N due to the tide pushing its hull while the wind pushes the sails with a force of 75900 N directed toward the northwest (45 degrees westward of North or 45 degrees northward of West). What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of the sailboat? Answer in units of m/s^2.

What is the direction of the boats acceleration? Answer in units of degrees (N of West).

---

I'm not sure what equations to use on these problems. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2004 #2
    there are only 2 equations

4. Oct 5, 2004 #3
    Well what 2 equations are those? I don't know what to use to solve these problems.

5. Oct 5, 2004 #4
    A person weighting 0.6kN rides in an elevator that has a downward acceleration of 1.4m/s^2. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the force of the elevator floor on the person? Answer in units of kN.

use F=ma

600 N=m 9.8 is how they arrived at the weight of a person. So the person weighed
    600/9.8=m

the mass of the person is 61.2 kg

F=61.2kg*(9.8-1.4)

F=61.2kg *8.4 m/s sq
    F=514.248 N
    or 0.5 kN

The second one you need to a by using the formula V^2=V initial^2 + 2a(x1-x0)

0=V initial^2 +2a(63.7)

once you find a replace a in the formula F=ma

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  6. Oct 5, 2004 #5

0.5kN is wrong, is there a different way of solving this problem?

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

For the first problem use

Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

You got movement on the y-axis, the forces are the normal and the weight, the acceleration is downward. Use a free body diagram. Momentum's answer algebraically is correct, if you use webassign or similar try combinations of figures.

For the third problem

Remember

[tex] F = ma [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?