Lost the Bath Plug? Dealing with a Flooded Bathroom

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation revolves around different solutions for creating makeshift plugs for blocked drains. Ideas such as using cling film or a hand towel are mentioned, as well as the mysterious disappearance of socks and other household items. The conversation also includes suggestions for a "bodger's kit" with tools and materials for DIY repairs.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I lost the bath plug, and could not use the one from the kitchen sink as i lost that months ago, (where do they go), any way i came up with the idea of using cling film to block the plug hole, i thought a square of it smoothed over the hole would work well, have you ever tried to get a sheet of cling film smooth? it wrinkles up and sticks to itself no matter how care full you are,
after ten attempts i gave that idea up, looking around for some thing to use as a plug turned up blank, so i decided to brave the shower, the shower head blocked up ages ago, so i tapped an extension hose to the original
short bit, i did get my hair wet before the tape gave way and flooded the
the bathroom, gay day my foot.

Physics news on Phys.org
use a hand towel, just shove it in there. Works very well, I had to in one of my apartments. Used the same one for a year, leaks a little but good enough.

Yeah, I've done that in hotels before where the drain plug had disappeared...shove in the towel or washcloth. I don't suppose you have a raquetball around? That seems like it would work too. Or something similar.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I've done that in hotels before where the drain plug had disappeared...shove in the towel or washcloth. I don't suppose you have a raquetball around? That seems like it would work too. Or something similar.
I can just about imagine where hotel plugs go, but ones own plugs? it
is such a downer to see a chain with nowt on the end of it :frown:
i bet a pound to a penny that mine is in one of the many missing socks
i no longer have a pair to, but where do they go?

I have no idea. I used to think my missing socks just wound up falling behind the dryer or something, but when I moved out of my last house, there wasn't a sock to be found behind the dryer when I pulled it out...nor anywhere else. I wonder if they all go to the same place lost emails and posts go?

Then again, in your case, it could be the ghosts playing tricks on you. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I have no idea. I used to think my missing socks just wound up falling behind the dryer or something, but when I moved out of my last house, there wasn't a sock to be found behind the dryer when I pulled it out...nor anywhere else. I wonder if they all go to the same place lost emails and posts go?

Then again, in your case, it could be the ghosts playing tricks on you. :biggrin:

Doh, MoonB, i have noises not ghosts:tongue2: i wonder if people regularly lose one of a pair of any thing else.

wolram said:
Doh, MoonB, i have noises not ghosts:tongue2: i wonder if people regularly lose one of a pair of any thing else.
They seem to often lose one of a pair of glasses. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
They seem to often lose one of a pair of glasses. :biggrin:

You plonker :biggrin: i was wondering for a second or two.

NEXT CLASS, PLUG MAKEING 101

One zip-loc baggie, or any plastic bag that can be tied off. Enough dirt or sand/salt to fill the corner of the baggie{big enough to plug the hole, it must be big enough to not FALL IN THE HOLE}. Tie off baggie, tightly. Put in hole.

hypatia said:

One zip-loc baggie, or any plastic bag that can be tied off. Enough dirt or sand/salt to fill the corner of the baggie{big enough to plug the hole, it must be big enough to not FALL IN THE HOLE}. Tie off baggie, tightly. Put in hole.

:grumpy: Why are women better bodgers than men :biggrin: i would never of though that one up.

As soon as I saw the first line I immediately thought "cling film around a ball of blu-tak"!

brewnog said:
As soon as I saw the first line I immediately thought "cling film around a ball of blu-tak"!

Hmmm, so what is in the best bodgers kit box aside from blue tak, zip lock bags?

wolram said:
:grumpy: Why are women better bodgers than men :biggrin: i would never of though that one up.
Hypatia is a genius.

Math Is Hard said:
Hypatia is a genius.

Well i am a genius too, it is just that the HUP all ways results in negative
outcomes to my escapades.

wolram said:
Hmmm, so what is in the best bodgers kit box aside from blue tak, zip lock bags?

Cable ties, gaffer tape, and a Leatherman.

The household bodger's kit should contain:

Araldite, some 50mm self tappers, Steel Putty, some stiff wire, a small socket set, a small adjustable spanner, a folding Stanley knife, some nail files, a gas soldering iron, a small set of mole grips, a bradawl, needlenose pliers, a junior hacksaw, and a small ball pein hammer.

wolram said:
i bet a pound to a penny that mine is in one of the many missing socks
i no longer have a pair to, but where do they go?
I had to do major surgery on a washer that got an intestinal blockage from eating a sock.
Found a partially digested one in the dryer to.
The machinery gets hungry now and then :biggrin:

NoTime said:
I had to do major surgery on a washer that got an intestinal blockage from eating a sock.
Found a partially digested one in the dryer to.
The machinery gets hungry now and then :biggrin:

The machinery is all ways getting the blame, i do not even have a washing machine, and my socks STILL disappear. :grumpy:

hypatia said:

When my septic tank started coming up through a downstairs toilet, I filled a plastic trash bag with cat litter and wedged it into the toilet to stop the flow. :approve:

Evo said:
When my septic tank started coming up through a downstairs toilet, I filled a plastic trash bag with cat litter and wedged it into the toilet to stop the flow.
. . . . [tex]\Uparrow[/tex] Smart and resourceful. :approve: I hope t_e is paying attention.

Last edited:
wolram said:
The machinery is all ways getting the blame, i do not even have a washing machine, and my socks STILL disappear. :grumpy:
If you're not getting them washed, they are probably just developing a life of their own and deciding to take a walk :biggrin:

Evo said:
When my septic tank started coming up through a downstairs toilet, I filled a plastic trash bag with cat litter and wedged it into the toilet to stop the flow. :approve:
:cool: I'm going to have to remember this one.

Math Is Hard said:
Hypatia is a genius.
Should we expect anything less from a PF Sister? :wink:

I am still trying to figure out how one loses a bathroom plug? :confused:

[QUOTE

I am still trying to figure out how one loses a bathroom plug? :confused:[/QUOTE]

There must be a scientific method of determining how thing go missing,
like the Sherlock Holmes quote, it must be the improbable, or what ever was said.:confused:

1. What should I do first if my bathroom is flooded due to a lost bath plug?

If your bathroom is flooded, the first thing you should do is turn off the main water supply to your house. This will prevent any further flooding and damage.

2. How do I remove the excess water from my flooded bathroom?

To remove the excess water from your bathroom, you can use a wet/dry vacuum or towels to soak up the water. Be sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and rubber boots, to avoid any potential hazards.

3. Can a flooded bathroom cause damage to my home?

Yes, a flooded bathroom can cause damage to your home, especially if the water seeps into the walls or floors. This can lead to structural damage, mold growth, and other issues. It is important to address the flooding as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

4. How can I prevent a flooded bathroom in the future?

To prevent a flooded bathroom, it is important to always check that the bath plug is securely in place before turning on the water. If you have a tendency to forget, you can also purchase a bath plug with a chain or use a rubber stopper that fits snugly in the drain.

5. Should I call a professional to handle a flooded bathroom?

If the flooding is minor and you are able to handle it yourself, then it is not necessary to call a professional. However, if the flooding is extensive or if you are unsure how to properly handle the situation, it is best to call a professional plumber or water damage restoration company to ensure the issue is resolved correctly and safely.