Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost plug

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I lost the bath plug, and could not use the one from the kitchen sink as i lost that months ago, (where do they go), any way i came up with the idea of using cling film to block the plug hole, i thought a square of it smoothed over the hole would work well, have you ever tried to get a sheet of cling film smooth? it wrinkles up and sticks to its self no matter how care full you are,
    after ten attempts i gave that idea up, looking around for some thing to use as a plug turned up blank, so i decided to brave the shower, the shower head blocked up ages ago, so i tapped an extension hose to the original
    short bit, i did get my hair wet before the tape gave way and flooded the
    the bathroom, gay day my foot.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    use a hand towel, just shove it in there. Works very well, I had to in one of my apartments. Used the same one for a year, leaks a little but good enough.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I've done that in hotels before where the drain plug had disappeared...shove in the towel or washcloth. I don't suppose you have a raquetball around? That seems like it would work too. Or something similar.

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I can just about imagine where hotel plugs go, but ones own plugs? it
    is such a downer to see a chain with nowt on the end of it :frown:
    i bet a pound to a penny that mine is in one of the many missing socks
    i no longer have a pair to, but where do they go?

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea. I used to think my missing socks just wound up falling behind the dryer or something, but when I moved out of my last house, there wasn't a sock to be found behind the dryer when I pulled it out...nor anywhere else. I wonder if they all go to the same place lost emails and posts go?

Then again, in your case, it could be the ghosts playing tricks on you. :biggrin:

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Doh, MoonB, i have noises not ghosts:tongue2: i wonder if people regularly lose one of a pair of any thing else.

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They seem to often lose one of a pair of glasses. :biggrin:

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

You plonker :biggrin: i was wondering for a second or two.

10. Nov 6, 2006 #9
    NEXT CLASS, PLUG MAKEING 101

One zip-loc baggie, or any plastic bag that can be tied off. Enough dirt or sand/salt to fill the corner of the baggie{big enough to plug the hole, it must be big enough to not FALL IN THE HOLE}. Tie off baggie, tightly. Put in hole.

11. Nov 6, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

:grumpy: Why are women better bodgers than men :biggrin: i would never of though that one up.

12. Nov 7, 2006 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As soon as I saw the first line I immediately thought "cling film around a ball of blu-tak"!

13. Nov 7, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Hmmm, so what is in the best bodgers kit box aside from blue tak, zip lock bags?

14. Nov 7, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hypatia is a genius.

15. Nov 7, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Well i am a genius too, it is just that the HUP all ways results in negative
    outcomes to my escapades.

16. Nov 7, 2006 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cable ties, gaffer tape, and a Leatherman.

The household bodger's kit should contain:

Araldite, some 50mm self tappers, Steel Putty, some stiff wire, a small socket set, a small adjustable spanner, a folding Stanley knife, some nail files, a gas soldering iron, a small set of mole grips, a bradawl, needlenose pliers, a junior hacksaw, and a small ball pein hammer.

17. Nov 7, 2006 #16

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had to do major surgery on a washer that got an intestinal blockage from eating a sock.
    Found a partially digested one in the dryer to.
    The machinery gets hungry now and then :biggrin:

18. Nov 7, 2006 #17

wolram

Gold Member

The machinery is all ways getting the blame, i do not even have a washing machine, and my socks STILL disappear. :grumpy:

19. Nov 7, 2006 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When my septic tank started coming up through a downstairs toilet, I filled a plastic trash bag with cat litter and wedged it into the toilet to stop the flow. :approve:

20. Nov 7, 2006 #19

Evo

21. Nov 7, 2006 #20

Astronuc

. . . . [tex]\Uparrow[/tex] Smart and resourceful. :approve: I hope t_e is paying attention.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?