1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost talent

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every now and again I run across someone like Oscar Levant. He was well known in his time, is completely unknown to me and most other people today [I think], and is perhaps worth noting for one reason or another. A few of his quotes are probably familiar. Also, it turns out that he was quite an accomplished person in many ways.

http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/acc/levant.html

Some quotes:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'd forgotten about him, but certainly recognized the name when I saw it. Used to hear his stuff all the time when I was a kid. (Of course, unlike some, not only radio, but also Oscar himself, already existed when I was a kid... :uhh: )

4. Nov 25, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of those quotes cracked me up! The one about Doris Day didn't hit until I read it a second time.

I remember listening to my parents LPs as a kid. They had quite a few that were comedy routines, and one that I got a kick out of was done by Shelley Berman, whom I have never heard mentioned in the public domain. ....did a quick google and behold!

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/news/february_2006/shelleyberman.html

Perhaps Michael Richards will end up teaching as USC. :biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?