What is the significance of the equations in Lost (TV Show)?

• Thread starter Ulnarian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the TV show "Lost" recently featured an episode with equations on a black light map. These equations seem to relate to electromagnetism, with one possibly representing temperature. However, the equations are distorted and difficult to fully decipher. In the show, failing to push a button to release the built-up magnetic charge caused a plane crash, hinting at a connection between the equations and a natural or human-made electromagnet.
Ulnarian
"Lost" (TV Show) Equations

Recently my favorite tv show (Lost) featured an episode in which a bunch of equations were quickly presented on a cool little black light map. These equations are beyond the realm of most layman, so I figured Id come here to see if you guys have any idea what these equations could relate to.

Enjoy :)

http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13784"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quite interesting though ultimately quite pointless too...
I see what looks like [tex] a(n)-r^2[5/7] [/tex] which am afraid to say doesn't seem to make any sense...butt, the image is distorted so I could also be wrong in choosing them out... within the jarbled lot I also see what resembles some form of temperature-related equation... [tex] G * 10^2 T [/tex] Where [tex] T [/tex] = Temperature and [tex] G [/tex] is the constant (?)

Last edited:
I'm a lost fan myself. Electromagnetism would make sense (and is indeed the equation used, only some div/grad representation of it, used to show a vector field, I believe)

mu is not momentum, btw, I saw that on the hatch map thread. Mu is a constant for the magnetic permability of a medium (mu not would be space, but for Earth's atmosphere, I think it's a different mu.)

WARNING, SPOILER:

If you saw the last episode of the last season, where they actually don't push the button, you see the magnetic field build up and a flashback where the original bunker boy (forgot his name) didn't push the button and that's supposedly what crashed the plane.

I'm guessing the point is that there's some natural anomoly where the magnetic field builds up by some sort of 'natural electromagnet' that accumulates charge somehow, and by pushing the button, they release what charge has built up.

It's also possible the electromagnet was designed by humans (military).

What is the premise of "Lost"?

The premise of "Lost" is that a group of survivors of a plane crash find themselves stranded on a mysterious island with supernatural and scientific elements. The survivors must learn to work together and navigate the island's mysteries while also dealing with their own personal struggles.

Are the equations and scientific concepts in "Lost" accurate?

While "Lost" incorporates many scientific concepts and equations, they are often used in a fictional and exaggerated manner for dramatic effect. Some of the concepts and equations may be based on real science, but they are not always portrayed accurately.

What is the significance of the equations in "Lost"?

The equations in "Lost" are often used as symbols or metaphors for the characters' personal struggles and the larger themes of the show. They also add a sense of mystery and intrigue to the show, as they are often tied to the island's secrets.

Do you need a background in science to understand "Lost"?

No, a background in science is not necessary to enjoy "Lost." While the show does incorporate scientific elements, they are not essential to understanding the plot and themes. The show is primarily a character-driven drama with elements of mystery and science fiction.

Are there any real-world applications of the equations in "Lost"?

Some of the equations used in "Lost" are based on real scientific concepts and may have real-world applications. However, the show often exaggerates and fictionalizes these concepts, so they should not be relied upon as accurate representations of science.