Lost Voice

Lost Voice....

I developed a sore throat and my voice is starting to fail me. I was wondering if anyone knows any good methods for soothing the throat and regaining one's voice.

Currently I am drinking some peppermint herbal tea with a bit of honey. I think when I worked at the coffee house I usually used Ginger Peach tea with honey and lemon though I don't remember that working out too well.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I developed a sore throat and my voice is starting to fail me. I was wondering if anyone knows any good methods for soothing the throat and regaining one's voice.

Currently I am drinking some peppermint herbal tea with a bit of honey. I think when I worked at the coffee house I usually used Ginger Peach tea with honey and lemon though I don't remember that working out too well.
I would drink teas with lemon and/or ginger. Throat Coat by Traditional Medicinals might also work.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I think any hot liquid would help, except milk products (increase mucus production, doesn't help with any upper respiratory problem).

But mostly, time and rest. Go back to bed, SA!

Keep away from citrus juices. Honey has a slight antibiotic quality, so drink your hot tea, but also after your done, dose yourself another teaspoon of honey.
Strep throat is really prevalent in the USA right now, I would advise you to see your Dr., if not better soon. You don't want it to creep into different areas.

Don't try to whisper, that will just cause you to constrict your throat... instead, if you must speak, simply modulate the air passing your larynx so you literally speak 'softly'. That will keep you from uneseccary strain, and see your doctor... although it's probably passing.

Do you have a fever? In addition, if you don't, still see a doctor, even if you throat isn't "cherry red, with pustules", you don't want to mess with strep if that's the culprit.

Just get a culture, and if it's viral... nothing to be done.

bobze
Science Advisor
Gold Member

As others suggested you probably want to check with your doctor. Its still strep season, I think I had 14 or 15 in about 1.5 hours in the clinic on Thursday. So its certainly still around.

Tests are quick, they can do rapid strep tests and you'll know within a few minutes. Even without a strep test, the typical diagnostic signs make it pretty easy for your doc to tell if you have it.

As for the voice; rest, rest, rest! That's really the best thing to do for strained vocal chords!.

Gargle with salt water.

As others suggested you probably want to check with your doctor. Its still strep season, I think I had 14 or 15 in about 1.5 hours in the clinic on Thursday. So its certainly still around.

Tests are quick, they can do rapid strep tests and you'll know within a few minutes. Even without a strep test, the typical diagnostic signs make it pretty easy for your doc to tell if you have it.

As for the voice; rest, rest, rest! That's really the best thing to do for strained vocal chords!.
Or... and here's a novel treatment... scream therapy! :wink:

NOTE: That is a joke... if you do it TSA, Moonbear will maul you.

I realized I should have been clearer about "no whispering"... specifically, take deep breaths... each breath should only yield you a few words without you contricting your throat at all. Be breathy, don't whisper if you have no choice, but to speak.

OH... and I can't believe I didn't mention it... HYDRATE... lots of clear fluids, and not just tea.

bobze
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Or... and here's a novel treatment... scream therapy! :wink:

NOTE: That is a joke... if you do it TSA, Moonbear will maul you.

I realized I should have been clearer about "no whispering"... specifically, take deep breaths... each breath should only yield you a few words without you contricting your throat at all. Be breathy, don't whisper if you have no choice, but to speak.

OH... and I can't believe I didn't mention it... HYDRATE... lots of clear fluids, and not just tea.
Excellent advice! Hydration is one of the most overlooked things for almost any illness/problem. I'll agree and amend my "rest, rest, rest" with the addition of "hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!":tongue2:

Excellent advice! Hydration is one of the most overlooked things for almost any illness/problem. I'll agree and amend my "rest, rest, rest" with the addition of "hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!":tongue2:
I think we hear, "push fluids" so often it almost becomes a joke, but as you say, not a joke at all!

Ahhh sweet water... it really is terrific stuff.

How's the throat ya big ape? :wink: