Essentials We Can't Live Without: A Reflection

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, So what thing(s) would you be lost without, or couldn't give up? So what thing(s) would you be lost without, or couldn't give up?My laptop...my car...my cell...my microwave, I cannot cook. My laptop...my car...my cell...my microwave, I cannot cook.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So what thing(s) would you be lost without, or couldn't give up?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

My laptop...my car...my cell...my microwave, I cannot cook.

In that order...

Mine would have to be 1 PF, 2 PC.

You, dear. :smile: Okay, seriously, most of the things that my brain does. I'm quite dependent on it. :wink:

honestrosewater said:
You, dear. :smile: Okay, seriously, most of the th

Yep, Keeping on the old straight and narrow o:)

things that my brain does. I'm quite dependent on it :cry:

wolram said:
honestrosewater said:
things that my brain does. I'm quite dependent on it :cry:

Yes but the things that your brain DOES are actions...how can you give up a verb?

i think i could live without most things... well... i am living in a cabin right now with minimal electricity and plumbing, i don't know anyone, little comforts... but its loads of fun. most important i guess is having people around me? or kids... seeing happy kids definately makes my days better. erm... oh, I'm also rather fond of kites... and hmm... my guitar? or a notebook and paper? i need some way of expressing myself mostly.

Townsend said:
Yes but the things that your brain DOES are actions...how can you give up a verb?

I am not sure you should accuse HRW without proof .
o:)

air, water, food

Gale17 said:
i think i could live without most things... well... i am living in a cabin right now with minimal electricity and plumbing, i don't know anyone, little comforts... but its loads of fun. most important i guess is having people around me? or kids... seeing happy kids definately makes my days better. erm... oh, I'm also rather fond of kites... and hmm... my guitar? or a notebook and paper? i need some way of expressing myself mostly.

You live in a cabin, that's cool, Kites as in (flying toy)?

yourdadonapogostick said:
air, water, food

These are the requirments for life :confused: o:)

wolram said:
I am not sure you should accuse HRW without proof .
o:)

Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing, just asking. I am totally open to the idea but I don't get it. :smile:

Townsend said:
Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing, just asking. I am totally open to the idea but I don't get it. :smile:

dont worry old boy there are lots of things people don't get here o:)

wolram said:
You live in a cabin, that's cool, Kites as in (flying toy)?

ya, i work at a summer camp right now. so i live there 24/7 for a few weeks in a really crummy cabin, (we actually refer to it as a shed because of how small it is and the way it look...) its very cool though. i love being out in the woods and stuff. its fantastic. tomorrow night we're sleeping out in tents.

and yes, kites... meaning those flying toys from Mary Poppins. i love to fly kites. it really makes you feel like a kid again.

Townsend said:
Well, giving up would just be stopping. Right? :uhh:

wolram said:
These are the requirments for life :confused: o:)
and i wouldn't be very happy without them, now would i?

Gale17 said:
ya, i work at a summer camp right now. so i live there 24/7 for a few weeks in a really crummy cabin, (we actually refer to it as a shed because of how small it is and the way it look...) its very cool though. i love being out in the woods and stuff. its fantastic. tomorrow night we're sleeping out in tents.

and yes, kites... meaning those flying toys from Mary Poppins. i love to fly kites. it really makes you feel like a kid again.

The cabin sounds a bit like the accomodation you get when you go to a
Butlins Holiday park in the uk.

The woods, one of my fav places, we don't have any big one's left round here now, when we were kids we used to play in the woods, put it's private now, for
phesant shooting :grumpy:

honestrosewater said:
Well, giving up would just be stopping. Right? :uhh:

Quite right dear lady,
one should only stop the things one can control o:)

Of course, stopping could also be plugging up. hmmm...

Gale,
Do you have nice clouds there? I love watching clouds. :!)

honestrosewater said:
Of course, stopping could also be plugging up. hmmm...

I think i follow your logic
:biggrin: but one can never be sure :uhh: o:)

wolram said:
I think i follow your logic
:biggrin: but one can never be sure :uhh: o:)
Well, that makes one of us. You should probably stop following my logic before it slaps you with a restraining order. :tongue2: That could give you a paper cut, you know.

not including necessities and not including persons/pets - I assume we are talking things we not not wish to be without.
The internet - quite simply.
I can traverse the world in mere seconds, I can discover and learn anything I pretty much desire.
Being a creature who gets bored so exceptionally easy I crave information!

wolram said:
me, myself, and I

and of course, moi

*Kia* said:
not including necessities and not including persons/pets - I assume we are talking things we not not wish to be without.
The internet - quite simply.
I can traverse the world in mere seconds, I can discover and learn anything I pretty much desire.
Being a creature who gets bored so exceptionally easy I crave information!
easily...not easy. you were trying to use "easy" as an adverb. there is your information. :rofl:

the clouds here are very lovely usually. though... they seem to be too many these days... i also LOVE star gazing here. that's my all time favorite thing that i could never ever live without... I love the night sky. its probably the most comforting thing i can think of.

In no particular order -

pc and the internet

tv (I watch maybe 4 hours per month, but I like those 4 hours)

refrigerator

car

AIRCONDITIONING

telephone

ALLERGY MEDICINE (ok I could do without anything on this list except for my allergy medicine)

Gale17 said:
the clouds here are very lovely usually. though... they seem to be too many these days... i also LOVE star gazing here. that's my all time favorite thing that i could never ever live without... I love the night sky. its probably the most comforting thing i can think of.
Ooh, yes. Especially being away from the city lights.

Lost without:
the hope that the current state of international affairs is just a horrible dream and I'm going to wake up any time now.

That and my 1 Gb USB "flash" memory stick.

Last edited:
yourdadonapogostick said:
easily...not easy. you were trying to use "easy" as an adverb. there is your information. :rofl:

hey I didn't say any of the info sticks :wink:
in fact I often find the info that sticks most is least useful

I have never lived without animals.. I would be lost without my animal friends.

wolram said:
So what thing(s).. couldn't give up?
My body.
I've tried as best as I could to lose it during moments of wild abandon, but somehow, it won't leave then, either.

My mp3 player...it accompanies me everywhere.
And the internet, of course.
Sunayana.

I don't have the right to say 'I couldn't give up my computer'. It should be 'I couldn't bear my computer giving up me'.
I'm a slave of my computer...