Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lots of people who're rich, educated, health and popular

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

I know lots of people who're rich, educated, health and popular but they still don't feel happy. On the other hand I know some peolple who're poor and sick but they seem to be happy.
    What's happiness in your idea? Is it relative? I mean does it have different definition for everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2
    What makes people happy is as varied as what makes them sad. I also believe, that what makes you happy changes with age.
    I use to think being happy meant good friends to share life with. Then it went on to, happiness was seeing my children progress and be healthy and successful.
    Now I think happiness comes from maintaining a stress free, healthy lifestyle.
    I have always been a happy person, and a happy life is a gift to share with those around you. :smile:

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

I think you're happy because You make others happy and you share your happiness with others.

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Give, and thou shalt receive".
    Not all Bible verses are devoid of wisdom..

6. Aug 10, 2005 #5
    The obvious counter argument to that is: "Take and thou shalt have"

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that in part at least, happiness is a function of bio-chemistry. It also seems to be genetic. There are two identical twins who, though separated at birth, are both perpetually cheerful. In fact they laugh so much that it grows annoying just watching them.

Considering the number of people living on antidepressants, I sometimes wonder if the brain is engineered for happiness. Maybe it's an aberration... However, I find that happiness is a BBQ'd steak. :biggrin:

8. Aug 10, 2005 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

What do you think of the relation btw marriage and happiness, Ivan or any other married person?:wink:

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, IIRC, married men live longer than single men. So if we live longer because we're happier, then on the average, marriage must make men happier than the single life. But I don't think that the news for women was as encouraging. :rofl:

But obviously it all depends on the marriage. If two people are right for each other then marriage is a wonderful thing; hard as hell at times, but wonderful as well.

10. Aug 10, 2005 #9
    I can't say just what happiness is, but I do recall a survey taken several years ago. After polling many people it revealed that the rich actually are, in general, happier with their lives than poor people.

KM

11. Aug 10, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps they are richer in part because they're happier? For example, a person who is happy, healthy, and blessed with an innate positive attitude would seem to be more likely to be financially successful than a sick, depressed, socially challenged person.

12. Aug 10, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im sure it does! I certainly wouldn't care if i won a million bucks (although itd be a nice convenience) or anything like that. I mean hell, when i gamble, im happy if i lose or win money! Id rather just sit around and watch tv with a friend then go on a vacation to the coast. Its all based on what you find joy in :)

13. Aug 10, 2005 #12

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how someone can be really happy in a loveless marriage -- although they may be content, I guess. OTOH, I can imagine two people in love being happy without the state's or the church's blessing. Marriage can and does mean a whole lot of different things across cultural lines; love is universal ... at least more universal, one hopes. "Love and marriage go like a horse and carriage..."

14. Aug 11, 2005 #13

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, a loveless relationship coul ruin all happiness that ones have in his/her life.

15. Aug 11, 2005 #14
    The best way to be happy, according to me is to stop caring for what others think of you. Most of the time no one is going to show any kindness towards you unless you pay a full price for it with your heart. Once you stop seeking for happiness and love...you might just find it.

16. Aug 11, 2005 #15

Lisa!

Gold Member

Well I heard you can't get the happiness till you're seeking :wink: for it.Just like what you said. But you can get the happiness by doing your duties and responsibility. I don't know how it could make us happy, but somehow if we don't take any responsibility as a human or talent person we would be sad and feel bad about ourselves. Most of time we're not happy because we feel bad about ourselves. and we feel bad about ourselves when we don't do our responsibilities.

I head this too:
    "It's difficult to find happiness in ourselves but it's impossible to find it else where."

17. Aug 12, 2005 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As sick as that sounds, I tend to believe it. People can be happy in very different circumstances: some people seem to be able to be happy no matter what and some people seem to never be happy.

POWs in Vietnam reported that the way they stayed sane (and most of them did) is that they learned that the only thing in your life you have total control over is your state of mind. They lived inside their heads and didn't let their situation destroy them.
    Or perhaps success and happiness are just two parts of the same thing. Again, with the mindest: the same mindest that causes happiness (positive thinking) is what causes success.
    Or do married men live longer because their wives nitpick all the bad (fun) habits out of them?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  18. Aug 13, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

I think it could be one of the reasons but for sure it has other reasons too. we should consider what differences marriage could make in every person life.

I heard that
    Of course it seems to be a kind of joke, but you know it tells me something. Living for along time doesn't necessarily mean having a happy life. Although I think happy people are usually healthier.You know they're health mentally and they can deal with physical diseases better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?