1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lottery probability Question

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Euromillions is a transnational lottery. A player selects 5 "main" numbers without replacement, ignoring order from 1 to 50. The player then selects 2 "lucky star" numbers without replacement and ignoring order from 1 to 11. Ultimately, 5 numbers are randomly selected without replacement ignoring order from 1 to 50 and independently, 2 numbers are selected without replacement from 1 to 11. Consider events (A) the player matches 2 "main" numbers and 1 "lucky star" number and (B) the player matches 1 "main" number and 2 "lucky star" numbers. Separately compute the probabilities of A & B. Which are more likely?

2. Relevant equations

Hyper geometric Distribution and additiive probability?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry for no latex, I couldnt seem to figure it out for the hypergeometric..

A: I had [(5 choose 2)*(45 choose 3)]/(50 choose 5) + [(2 choose 1)*(9 choose 1)]/(11 choose 2)=.39

B: I had [(5 choose 1)*(45 choose 4)]/(50 choose 5) + [(2 choose 2)*(9 choose 0)]/(11 choose 2)=.37

Not sure if this is right..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(Assuming the question means exactly 2 main numbers, etc., not at least 2...)
    Not a bad start, but think again about how to combine the two probabilities. You want the probability of two independent events both happening.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted