Winning the Lottery: Probability & Odds

In summary, there are 1530 ways to choose 2 numbers from 18 without replacement and with order not mattering. This is calculated by multiplying the combinations of 18 choose 2, 18 choose 2, and 19 choose 2, and dividing by the combinations of 55 choose 6. This is not a probability of winning, just a fraction of the total number of outcomes that satisfy the given conditions.
bartowski
thanks for helping :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this as follows: how many ways are there to choose 2 numbers from 18? (no replacement, order doesn't matter)

oleador said:
Think about this as follows: how many ways are there to choose 2 numbers from 18? (no replacement, order doesn't matter)

i was thinking about this:

numerator: 18C2, 18C2, 19C2 --- but I'm not sure if you ADD or MULTIPLY these
denominator: 55C6

[tex]
\frac{C^{2}_{18} \, C^{2}_{18} \, C^{2}_{19}}{C^{6}_{55}}
[/tex]

Wolfram Alpha

This looks terribly high?!

i was thinking of that.
if you add it on the other hand, its too low

i'm not quite sure with my solution
:(

Last edited:
No, but this not a probability ot win! This is just a fraction of the total number of outcomes that satisfy your condition. It doesn't mean that if you fill A ticket satisfying this condition that you have this probability to win.

Dickfore said:
No, but this not a probability ot win! This is just a fraction of the total number of outcomes that satisfy your condition. It doesn't mean that if you fill A ticket satisfying this condition that you have this probability to win.

so you think the solution is right? :)

Yes. The solution is correct.

Dickfore said:
Yes. The solution is correct.

thanks! :)

The intuition for why you have to multiply the combinations is that for every possible combination, say, in [1,18] you can have 18C2 of combinations in [19,36] and 19C2 in [37,55].

oleador said:
The intuition for why you have to multiply the combinations is that for every possible combination, say, in [1,18] you can have 18C2 of combinations in [19,36] and 19C2 in [37,55].

now i understand. thanks! :)

What is the probability of winning the lottery?

The probability of winning the lottery depends on the specific game and the number of possible combinations. For example, in a standard 6/49 lottery game, the odds of matching all six numbers and winning the jackpot are 1 in 13,983,816.

What are the odds of winning the lottery?

The odds of winning the lottery are the same as the probability, but they are usually expressed in a different format. For example, the odds of winning the 6/49 lottery would be written as 1 in 13,983,816 or approximately 0.0000000715.

How can I improve my chances of winning the lottery?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to improve your chances of winning the lottery. It is purely a game of chance and the odds are the same for every player. However, some people believe that buying more tickets or choosing certain numbers can increase their chances, but this is not supported by any scientific evidence.

What happens if multiple people win the lottery?

If multiple people have the winning numbers for a lottery game, the prize will be divided equally among all the winners. For example, if two people have the winning numbers for a $10 million jackpot, they would each receive $5 million.

What are the chances of winning the lottery multiple times?

The chances of winning the lottery multiple times are extremely low, as each drawing is completely independent from the previous one. Even if you have won the lottery before, your odds of winning again are the same as anyone else's. However, some people have been lucky enough to win multiple times through sheer chance.