Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lottery: Ticket for SpaceShipOne, would you buy?

1. No.

43.8%
  2. Yes, if under US$25.

18.8%
  3. Yes, up to a US$50 ticket.

12.5%
  4. Yes, if less than US$100.

18.8%
  5. Yes! Just name your price!

6.3%
  1. May 29, 2005 #1
    If these new private space companies like Vergin Galactic each had a lottery for a chance to win a 'free' ride in space, would you buy a ticket?

If so, how much would you be willing to buy a ticket for?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I voted 'no' for practical reasons, not idealistic ones. Of course I would love to go to space! I can't afford lottery tickets, particularly since the odds pretty much make it a waste of money. More importantly, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pass the health requirements to go even if I won. :cry:

4. May 29, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I said name your price. YOU WOULD BE IN SPACE!

5. May 29, 2005 #4
    i said if it was under 25 bucks. i want a chance to win, but i wouldn't pay very much. actually, in reality, that ticket'd have to be like... less than 10 bucks.. really, probably max i'd spend is like 2 or 3. unless the odds were really good or something, or if someone convinced me... or something...

6. May 29, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They can't even safely launch a rocket with highly trained astronaughts on board. There's no way I'd be on an early voyage, unless I'd been diagnosed with a terminal illness in which case I'd probably be on my new bike...

Imagine what would happen if you sent any of us up!

"Nogger, what d'ya think this button does?"
    "Uhh, I dunno Danger. I'll have a look once I've undone these bolts"
    "Ok, there's a red light started flashing. Ooh look, you can see my house from here!"
    "Is that Evo up a tree? Danger! Put that fag out!"

7. May 29, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: You'd make a good co-pilot, lad. Too bad I'm grounded for now.

8. May 29, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was kinda hoping you'd pick up on the "put the fag out" line, and say something about chucking Smurf out of the window or something.

Ah well, gone are the days of me setting them up and you knocking them home...

9. May 29, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry pal. I know that it means something else to you, but over here it's an extremely offensive term that I won't use in that context. I'll still call a cigarette one once in a while, but I couldn't think of a smoking joke right then.

10. May 29, 2005 #9
    I'd be willing to spend $100 on a lottery ticket to go into space.

11. May 29, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No way you're going to get me onto a space ship! I still get sick on some roller coasters! :yuck: I'll sit right here and wait for someone else to send me the pictures. :approve:

12. May 29, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

You don't get sick on an unbalanced washing machine; launch vibration should be about the same. Just sit back, enjoy, and don't look out the window.

13. May 29, 2005 #12
    At any price i could afford.

14. May 29, 2005 #13
    heh heh

Ah, that was a fun subject.

15. May 29, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah. It's just not the same now that it's lawn-mowing season.

16. May 29, 2005 #15
    The lower the price the more tickets will sell slanting the odds against you. Really the higher the price the better your odds but I'm thinking you probably wouldn't consider the differance it would make worth the money you would be spending.

17. May 29, 2005 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket because I never win. I might buy an actual ticket though.

18. May 30, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised she's not set the hounds on you for insinuating that Moonbear regularly sits on her washing machine.

19. May 30, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

What insinuate? It was her idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?