Lotto numbers and the heavier ball

In summary: Without an explanation it is difficult to say if it is a fair or not. In summary, the method used to determine the winning numbers in a lottery is based on the assumption that a number of balls with the same size and weight will behave randomly when put into a canister with pressurized air. When the air pressure is stopped, the heavier ball will always be the first to come out of the hole. However, a similar experiment which is known as Maxwell's Devil can be performed using a number of balls which are put into a spinning sphere. In this experiment, the same ball always comes out of the hole even though the balls are not all of equal weight. Without an explanation, it is difficult to say if this is a
gnikolaidis
I am reffering to a method used by some lotto operators to determine the winning numbers. In the particular method a number of balls having the same size and (supposedly) weight are put inside a canister where the are put into random motion by means of pressurised air. At some point, the influx of pressurised air stops and slowly the balls come to rest - at which point a ball finds its way out from a hole at the bottom of the canister. Thus, and by reffering to the number painted on the ball, the winning numbers are determined in succession.

However, I remember from my high school elementary physics course a similar experiment - which our physics professor code named "Maxwell's Devil" - where a number of balls where put into random motion inside a spinning sphere and at the end the same one ball always came out of the hole in the canister. It turned out that this particular ball was slightly heavier than the rest, thus forcing it self as the first ball always to come out.

I am trying to locate on the web a practical and theoretical explation of the physics involved, but unfortunately I cannot find anything related to this matter. Can anyone help with any references?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Geez, that doesn't sound right...

Well without knowing what you mean by "random motion inside a spinning canister", I doubt anyone here can explain it. Obviously the motion was not completely random, if results are preceded by the weights of the balls.

I'm imagining like... how they do the lotto on TV or some bingo halls with the balls flying around because there's a stream of compressed air being fired from teh bottom up into the big sphere and one being pulled from teh bottom after the air stops and all the balls fall down.

It might make sense if the balls were mixed up after the air was off because that might give the ball time to fall to teh bottom of the group of balls.

KingNothing said:
Well without knowing what you mean by "random motion inside a spinning canister", I doubt anyone here can explain it. Obviously the motion was not completely random, if results are preceded by the weights of the balls.

Imagine the canister is a round sphere which is put into rotational motion with a number of balls inside it. As the sphere rotates with high speed the interaction of the balls with the walls of the canister and with each other makes them appear to move in a random motion, like the molecules of a hot gas. When the sphere comes to rest, the slightly heavier ball always comes out of the hole.

You are right that "random" is not appropriate, since the balls inside the sphere are not all of equal weight, one is slightly heavier. But to the observer, who does not know this fact, appears to be random.

The experiment works and I suppose anyone with the right equipment can replicate it. I need however an explanation of the phenomenon with the involved physics.

1. How do lotto numbers and the heavier ball affect the outcome of a lottery game?

The lotto numbers and the heavier ball are two key factors that determine the outcome of a lottery game. The lotto numbers are randomly drawn from a pool of numbers, while the heavier ball is used to determine the bonus or extra numbers. These numbers play a crucial role in determining the winning combination and ultimately, the winners of the lottery game.

2. Why is there a need for a heavier ball in lotto games?

The heavier ball is used in lotto games to add an element of chance and randomness to the drawing process. By using a heavier ball, it becomes more difficult for the numbers to be manipulated or predicted, ensuring a fair and unbiased drawing process.

3. How are the lotto numbers and the heavier ball selected?

The lotto numbers are selected using a random number generator, ensuring that each number has an equal chance of being drawn. The heavier ball is also selected at random, usually from a separate pool of numbers, to determine the bonus or extra numbers in the lottery game.

4. Is there any strategy or pattern in choosing lotto numbers?

There is no proven strategy or pattern in choosing lotto numbers that can guarantee a win. As the numbers are selected randomly, the best approach is to choose a combination of numbers that have personal significance to you, rather than trying to predict the outcome.

5. Can the weight of the ball affect the outcome of the lottery?

The weight of the ball does not directly affect the outcome of the lottery. However, it is an important factor in ensuring a fair and unbiased drawing process. By using a heavier ball, the numbers are less likely to be manipulated, increasing the integrity of the lottery game.