Design a Long-Distance Paper Car with Lou-Vee-Air

• Thread starter cdowney8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
The car must have a propulsion system made out of these materials, but the speaker is struggling to come up with a design that will travel at least 20 feet. They are seeking ideas and help for their project.
cdowney8
I am a high school senior and for physics class we are making cars out of paper, paper clips, straws, glue, and tape. The cars must have a propulsion system made out of those materials as well. I am struggling at figuring out a design that will go atleast 20 feet. Any ideas? help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
cdowney8 said:
I am a high school senior and for physics class we are making cars out of paper, paper clips, straws, glue, and tape. The cars must have a propulsion system made out of those materials as well. I am struggling at figuring out a design that will go atleast 20 feet. Any ideas? help is greatly appreciated
The materials listed don't seem to work unless you are blowing air through the straw and using the paper as a sail. Otherwise, you will need something like an elastic band to store energy.

AM

I am excited to hear about your project and I am happy to offer some suggestions for designing a long-distance paper car with Lou-Vee-Air. First, it is important to understand the principles of motion and propulsion. In order to travel a long distance, your car will need a strong and efficient propulsion system.

One idea is to use the paper clips as axles and wheels, and the straws as the body of the car. You can use glue and tape to secure these materials together. For the propulsion system, you can use a balloon as a source of compressed air. Attach the balloon to the back of the car with tape or glue, and then release the air to create a force that propels the car forward.

Another option is to use the Lou-Vee-Air concept to create a wind-powered car. You can use the straws as the framework of the car and attach paper sails to catch the wind. You can experiment with different shapes and sizes of sails to find the most efficient design for your car.

Additionally, you can try using a rubber band as a source of energy for your car. Attach the rubber band to the axles and wind it up tightly. When released, the rubber band will unwind and provide a burst of energy to propel the car forward.

Overall, the key to designing a successful long-distance paper car is to experiment with different designs and propulsion systems. Keep in mind the principles of motion and try to optimize the efficiency of your car. Good luck with your project and have fun exploring the world of paper car design!

1. How do you design a long-distance paper car with Lou-Vee-Air?

To design a long-distance paper car with Lou-Vee-Air, you will need to follow these steps:

• First, gather all the necessary materials such as paper, scissors, tape, and a straw.
  • Next, cut the paper into a rectangular shape and fold it in half lengthwise.
  • Then, cut two slits on the folded edge of the paper, leaving about an inch of space in between.
  • Insert the straw through the slits to create the axles of the car.
  • Use tape to secure the straw in place.
  • Finally, decorate your car with Lou-Vee-Air-inspired designs and test it out by blowing through the straw to make it move.

2. What is the purpose of using Lou-Vee-Air in the design of the paper car?

Lou-Vee-Air, also known as Bernoulli's principle, explains that when air moves faster, the pressure decreases. By blowing through the straw, you are creating a low-pressure area behind the car, which propels it forward. This allows the paper car to travel longer distances compared to just pushing it with your hand.

3. Can I use any type of paper to make the paper car?

Yes, you can use any type of paper for your paper car, but for better results, it is recommended to use a thicker and sturdier paper. This will make the car more durable and able to withstand longer distances.

4. How far can a paper car with Lou-Vee-Air travel?

The distance a paper car can travel with Lou-Vee-Air depends on various factors such as the design of the car, the strength of the person blowing through the straw, and the surface it is traveling on. On average, a well-designed paper car can travel up to 10-15 feet with the help of Lou-Vee-Air.

5. Can I make any modifications to the paper car design to make it travel even further?

Yes, you can experiment with different designs and modifications to see how they affect the distance the paper car can travel. For example, you can try making the car more aerodynamic by adding a pointed front or making the wheels larger. You can also try using different types of paper or adding weight to the car to see how it affects its performance.