Build My Car: Finding the Right Axle

In summary, finding the right axle for your car is a crucial step in building a high-quality and efficient vehicle. It involves considering factors such as weight, material, and compatibility with the rest of the car's components. With the help of a knowledgeable mechanic or researching online, you can make an informed decision and choose an axle that meets your specific needs and budget.
eric12421
well I am building my car, now the paper recommends that you use paper clips that are like unfolded. After then you put the paper clip inside a rolled up piece of paper. but i can never seem to get the paper clip like exactly straight. The paper clip is the axle. So when ever the car moves the axles can turn to its fullest potential because i can't get it exactly straight. does anone how any different suggestions than a paper clip?

eric

Physics news on Phys.org
The paper clip is used for the rubberband hook on the front of the car. You need wire that is not bend for the axles. See
http://www.usd116.org/ums/projects/sciencenet/projects/pcarshints.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
eric12421 said:
well I am building my car, now the paper recommends that you use paper clips that are like unfolded. After then you put the paper clip inside a rolled up piece of paper. but i can never seem to get the paper clip like exactly straight. The paper clip is the axle. So when ever the car moves the axles can turn to its fullest potential because i can't get it exactly straight. does anone how any different suggestions than a paper clip?

eric
This is "DrHanzonScience," James P. Louviere, the inventor of the Lou-Vee-AirCar. Here are some ideas for you:
1. use pliers to "squish" the bends out of your paper clip when you have pulled the wire fairly straight in the fashion you'd use when opening a pocket knife.
2. When you have the wire nearly straight, roll it under your shoe (you'd need to be wearing shoes that have a flat sole, not a bumpy sole as on athletic shoes.) The rolling will give you a satisfactorily straight wire.
3. If you are a teacher, you can purchase a quarter-mile or half-mile roll of Electric Fence Wire (stainless steel) at a building supplies or lumber store. This wire is rolled, so it needs to be straightened, but that's easy enough using a shoe with a flat sole, as described in #2 above. The Lou-Vee-AirCar as shown in the Feb 1988 issue of The Science Teacher is not so sensitive that the wire has to be "perfectly" straight. For perfectly straight wire, email me at drhanzonscience@gmail.com and let me know what you need. I can supply excellent piano wire (that's just a name, it's not necessaritly musical) at a reasonable price.
Teachers, professors, youth group leaders, Scout leaders, etc. can obtain a free sample of the commercial Lou-Vee-Air(TM)Car from me by requesting one by email, with the word "sample" in the subject line.
I am always happy to answer questions posted on Physics Forum or drhanzonscience@gmail.com and would like to hear from teachers/others who have used the Lou-Vee-Air car in scratch-built form or the commercial version sold through SargentWelch.com and other science supply companies.
James P. Louviere 548 Trapelo Rd #3 Belmont MA 02478

1. What is the purpose of the "Build My Car" project?

The purpose of the "Build My Car" project is to help individuals find the right axle for their car. The axle is an essential component of a car's drivetrain, responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels.

2. How do I know which axle is right for my car?

The right axle for your car depends on several factors such as the make and model of your car, the type of driving you do, and your budget. It is best to consult with a mechanic or do some research to determine the best axle for your specific needs.

3. What are the different types of axles available?

There are three main types of axles: live axles, dead axles, and semi-floating axles. Live axles are found in rear-wheel-drive vehicles and are responsible for turning the wheels. Dead axles are found in front-wheel-drive vehicles and are not connected to the engine. Semi-floating axles are found in four-wheel-drive vehicles and are designed for off-road use.

4. How do I maintain my car's axle?

Regular maintenance is crucial for keeping your car's axle in good condition. This includes checking the axle's fluid levels, inspecting for leaks or damage, and replacing any worn parts. It is also essential to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

5. Can I replace my car's axle myself?

Replacing a car's axle is a complex task and should only be done by a trained mechanic. It requires specialized tools and knowledge to ensure the axle is installed correctly and functions properly. Attempting to replace the axle yourself could lead to further damage and safety hazards.