Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loud Music and Respect

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, my roommate plays heavy bass music CONSTANTLY. He's currently playing it this morning. He uses it to wake up, but it wakes everybody up. It's his alarm system.

It's very annoying.

Solution 1 - I started playing my own loud music that's louder than his and he's not hearing impaired. Also, I have the sub under the bed... he's right under me.

Solution 2 - I will do this if it goes too far. Doing it constantly until January. I will go into his room when he's away for the weekend. I will open his subwoofer box and cut a wire... o:) What happened?! I have no idea. o:) Maybe the subwoofer blew up. o:)

I have other solutions but those are the only two I will do. There are other solutions I'm considering before Solution 2.

Note: From friends, they would never ever do anything to displease me because I'm like the biggest con artist. :blushing: Because I get them back and never know it was related to me, and everything could spiral down, and they would be clueless on what happened.

Anyways, what's up with loud music people play randomly? I only play it before going out and such.

Any heavy bass songs you know?

Note: I told him that his bass is too high. But because he's inconsiderate and retarded... he will pay pay pay pay pay.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you want to get into a race to see who can be the biggest jackass, I suppose that's your business. Are you sure you want to win this?

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course I'm going to win! No question.

All 3 roommates vs 1... come on. Of course we are on the winning team. It's part of the fun of having roommates.

I guess this is the only guy I've seen who can't take care of himself. I have no idea how he has a girlfriend. Well, TAed her girlfriend, and I must say... she isn't bright either. I think it will be fun.

Also, I communicated to him 3 times about the loud bass. It's not like I don't tell the guy.

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Learn to play electric guitar, but really badly, and get a 60 watt practice amp so there is constant feedback.

6. Nov 11, 2008 #5
    Buy him a headset and invent a clever line to give him the present.

7. Nov 11, 2008 #6
    You obviously do NOT listen to hiphop...

8. Nov 11, 2008 #7
    The girl beside me in rez first year was a similar annoyance... only she listened to the most god awful country music... so loud the whole building could hear it. My dad makes speakers and amps so I grabbed the biggest I could find and down loaded Dir En Grey. It is possibly the most irritating music on the planet... Japanese metal! Trust me, youll drive him up the wall.

9. Nov 11, 2008 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Haha, I was playing... Milli by Lil Wayne, No Stress by Lauren Wolf, and a bunch of other club music this morning.

My next thing to do on the weekend is to leave the music play when I go out Saturday morning/afternoon. He likes to sleep in until 3pm. Good luck with all the music playing. When I get back... Oops, I forgot to stop the music. o:)

10. Nov 11, 2008 #9
    Try:
    Super Sic With It - Mistah FAB
    Get 'Em High - Kanye West
    Can't Forget About You - NAS

If you like techno, try:
    Faster Kill Pussycat - Paul Oakenfold

Leave those on repeat for the whole day and see what happens...

11. Nov 11, 2008 #10
    File a complaint with the landlord? I assume you did not choose this roommate.

Or if you did, then I would cut power to his room every night before you go to bed. A switch in the fuse/circuit breaker box should do the trick. Make sure he's already asleep though.

If the music is loud enough that it bothers the neighbours, you might be able to get him into trouble depending on what your local noise ordinances allow.

12. Nov 11, 2008 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A very small slit somewhere in the cone of the sub woofer will tear in no time. He'll think it was because he was pushing the bass too much.

Whoops. Am I feeding the beast here?

I meant to say that you should be forgiving and patient. He will eventually be totally overwhelmed with your selflessness that he will want to turn the music down.

13. Nov 11, 2008 #12
    Stab him in the ears with with those shish kebab pokers so he goes deaf. No more music.

14. Nov 11, 2008 #13
    Small quantities of nitroglycerin placed strategically throughout his room such that they will detonate with the base?

15. Nov 11, 2008 #14
    Okay, I've got one... how about you rig up some kind of microphone attached to a switch based on decibel level so that when the music is turned up above a certain decibel level a couple additional subwoofers out in the hallway of the apartment building, above the ceiling tiles so they're hidden and pressed up against the ceiling and opposite wall of the hallway, rebroadcast whatever is going on in your apartment. And you have some master cutoff switch.

That way, inexplicably the neighbors only come to the door to complain when he's playing his music.

16. Nov 11, 2008 #15
    But to concur with what Vanadium said, yeah, you're not making any issues out of "respect" here, really the complete opposite rather.

17. Nov 11, 2008 #16
  18. Nov 11, 2008 #17
    I hate acoustics. I took the GRE on Saturday and I sat in a spot where if I was looking at my test I could hear the clock ticking, but if I turned my head it was silent. Very annoying. =/

19. Nov 11, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, you said you had 3 roommates. So, are the other two going to have to suffer through this battle of the bass? If you start that, they may both then decide to just kill the two of you in your sleep! But, if the two of them are in on it and keep the same sort of hours you do, then go for it...all three of you blast music at him on Saturday mornings when he's sleeping in...especially if he's sleeping in because he's hungover. :devil: Oh, and hide all the aspirin/ibuprofen.

20. Nov 11, 2008 #19
    I concur. Blast music at midnight "because it helps you study" or whatever.

21. Nov 11, 2008 #20
    Have you considered asking him to turn down the volume?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?