Dealing with Loud Music and Respect

• Music
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: the... music... on... when... you... go... out... to... party! If you like techno, try:Faster Kill Pussycat - Paul OakenfoldIf you like heavy metal, try:Metallica - Master of PuppetsIf you want to get into a race to see who can be the biggest jackass, I suppose that's your business.Are you sure you want to win this?
redargon said:
I went camping in France once and there were these french guys playing some really loud and crappy french songs on their car radio (doors open, etc). Our group was very tolerant for a while and hoped that it would be for just one or two songs (everybody is allowed to do that every now and then, I do too, I understand). When it carried on we thought we'd wait 'til their battery went flat... he started his car to charge it. So... I opened all my car doors, put on my stereo and cranked it (it being my Messhugga CD, heavy metal for those who don't know) up to the proverbial 11. They quickly got the message and switched off their music completely. Success!

Problem was: 1. I didn't want them to switch off completely, I mean they're allowed to listen to music and 2. I felt like a real @ss after that and actually wish I'd handled it differently. I still think of it now when I think about handling something aggressively and it helps to keep me in check.

Therefore, my advice: Don't be an @ss and destroy his property (or his eardrums). Ask and ask and ask and if that doesn't work, well then tough sh#&. If he doesn't know why he is being punished, he won't learn. So just making noises in his room or cutting his cones or farting in his pillow or feeding him laxomaxo5000 (the last two were not already meantioned and have been added for reference only :devil:) will just make him think you're an ***. You'll be a better man for it and will respect yourself more in the long run. You could also just wake up earlier and use the time to go to the gym, go for a run, go and study in the library. This is the most positive approach and you'll gain something from it too. :approve:

How will he think I'm an *******? He wouldn't know it's me. I make everything look natural.

Science news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
How will he think I'm an *******? He wouldn't know it's me. I make everything look natural.

You cannot be saved :rolleyes: oh well... :tongue:

JasonRox said:

If the music is too loud and he won't turn it down, get a different roommate. Covertly destroying his personal property is illegal, wrong, and cowardly. What are you, 5 years old? Be a man and deal with the situation properly.

Do you have a problem telling him to turn down his bass?

Why not look for a nice solution like buy him headphones for Christmas.

maze said:
If the music is too loud and he won't turn it down, get a different roommate. Covertly destroying his personal property is illegal, wrong, and cowardly. What are you, 5 years old? Be a man and deal with the situation properly.

This is the only decent solution I've read in this thread. I suggest you approach this problem with some maturity, destroying property or using the old play ground "he hit me so I will hit him back" mentality isn't going to get you anywhere. Being roommates means being considerate of the other people you are sharing a home with and if this guy can't seem to grasp that concept then he needs to find somewhere else to live. It's as simple as that.

I think we have all had bad roommates before. My last roommate used to bring home ugly fat chicks every other night that I would frequently (by accident) see them naked the next morning. :yuck: I talked to him about it and he his behavior didn't change. Long story short, I live alone now.

maze said:

I said I'll make a buzzing machine instead and install in his vent. Not destroying anything.

Topher925 said:
This is the only decent solution I've read in this thread. I suggest you approach this problem with some maturity, destroying property or using the old play ground "he hit me so I will hit him back" mentality isn't going to get you anywhere. Being roommates means being considerate of the other people you are sharing a home with and if this guy can't seem to grasp that concept then he needs to find somewhere else to live. It's as simple as that.

I think we have all had bad roommates before. My last roommate used to bring home ugly fat chicks every other night that I would frequently (by accident) see them naked the next morning. :yuck: I talked to him about it and he his behavior didn't change. Long story short, I live alone now.

I can't get rid of him. It's in a house. I live in a student house.

moose said:
Do you have a problem telling him to turn down his bass?

Well, I wish it was common sense not to play the music full blast at 7am or 1am.

Also consider that if you sabotage his subwoofer, he might very well go out and buy a bigger one to replace it.

You can't just kick him out? With the support of your other two roommates?

Ben Niehoff said:
Also consider that if you sabotage his subwoofer, he might very well go out and buy a bigger one to replace it.

You can't just kick him out? With the support of your other two roommates?

No, because the lease is all signed together.

here are some goodies.

i set my friends on fire - HXC 2-step
Hollywood undead - (insert all songs here)

that is if you want some funny music with some bass. I am sure there are others but no one really knows of these.

Haha,

I have a very similar problem. I have 3 roommates, 2 of which have 6-piece speaker systems, all of which watch tv very loudly. I have told them to keep it down multiple times and two of them usually comply. The other however shuts up for for a while then turns it back up. Then he has witty responses like, "but the bass is the best part!". What has made it worse is that he has started to bring his idiot of a girlfriend over lately and staying the night.

She will be gone soon so that's not going to be a problem for too long.
I have been repeatedly trying to get him to shutup but that has degraded the friendship between us. I can't wait to move out in four months, that is the only solution for me.

I've told him to turn it down. He has headphones, but seldomly uses them. I would trying some of the previously mentioned things, but he always keeps his door locked, and the fuse box is right next too my room, so it would obviously be my fault.

People need to understand how their actions affect those around them. We all share this apartment so all our actions will affect everyone else.
But just watch, I bet once I get my own apartment, I will get a neighbor that blasts his music.

TheRabbit said:
But just watch, I bet once I get my own apartment, I will get a neighbor that blasts his music.

That happened to one of my friends (only when the neighbor left and the neighbor's teenage kids turned the radio up). His solution: he built a tunable transmitter hooked up to a computer and transmitted his own music (from MP3 files) over their station. I think that's technically illegal... but the signal was weak and he only did it when they played the music loud. And man, it was hilarious. Funny that the kids never learned to switch to CD's.