1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loudness of sound question

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The speaker receives 10W of electrical power from the amplifier, 4% of which it transforms into sound flow, propagating into a half-space (in front of the speaker) indiscriminately in all directions. How loud is the sound 10m from the speaker?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]L_\mathrm{I}=10\, \log_{10}\left(\frac{I_1}{I_0}\right)\ \mathrm{dB} \,[/tex]
    [tex]I = \frac{W}{S}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is pretty easy to get if you just plug the data into the equations, taking

[tex]S = 4\pi r^{2}[/tex]

But that's the thing I don't quite get. If all of the power that the speaker emits is transformed into sound that only propagates in a half-space, why isn't [tex]S = 2\pi r^{2}[/tex]? I mean, isn't that the point of a speaker, so as to curtail the drawback of sound propagating in all directions and directing its power into only the desired one, thus making it appear louder to our ears?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted