Loudspeaker Design: Calculating Angle of First Minimum

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angle at which the first minimum occurs in a simple loudspeaker design. The equation used is sin\theeta=\frac{\lambda}{b} and the sound frequency is 0.14 m. The correct angle is found to be approximately 69 degrees.
_Mayday_
Hey,

I've just done a bit of reading on some simple loudspeaker design in my textbook. It is asking me to calculate when the first minimum occurs. I think I am fine with this, but my problem is that I have no idea how I would calculate the angle at which the minimum occurs.

I will use an example given in the book. The sound frequency is 0.14 m and this is emitted by a loudspeaker of diametre 0.15 m.

I am using the equation:

[tex]sin\theeta=\frac{\lambda}{b}[/tex]

I would therefor say that the first minum occurs at [tex]\frac{0.14}{0.15}=0.93 \degrees[/tex]

The book however says that the angle at which the minimum occurs is about 69 degrees. Could someone please clear this up, it is probably a misunderstanding of some sort. I have not offered working as I do not know the method in solving this, but any help would be great.

Thanks.

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
The sound frequency is 0.14 m
I'm assuming you meant to say wavelength??

It looks to me like you just didn't finish the calculation. Use your calculator to compute the angle.

Yes, sorry I did mean wavelength. What do you mean I didn't complete the calculation? Are you saying that I have the correct equation to give me that answer?

You have [tex] \sin\theta = \frac{0.14}{0.15} [/tex]

Solve for theta and you should get 69.0 degrees.

:blushing: I can't believe I missed that...

Thanks for your time. :tongue:

1. What is the angle of first minimum in loudspeaker design?

The angle of first minimum is the angle at which the sound waves emitted from a loudspeaker cancel each other out, resulting in a dip in the sound pressure level (SPL) at that angle.

2. How is the angle of first minimum calculated?

The angle of first minimum is typically calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the physical dimensions of the loudspeaker, such as the size and shape of the driver(s) and the distance between them. This formula is often referred to as the "baffle step" or "diffraction loss" formula.

3. Why is the angle of first minimum important in loudspeaker design?

The angle of first minimum is important because it affects the directivity of the loudspeaker. If the angle of first minimum is too wide, the sound will be dispersed in multiple directions, resulting in poor sound quality and imaging. If the angle of first minimum is too narrow, the sound will be highly directional and may not reach all parts of the listening area.

4. Can the angle of first minimum be adjusted?

Yes, the angle of first minimum can be adjusted by changing the physical dimensions of the loudspeaker, such as the size and placement of the drivers. This can be done through computer simulations or physical prototypes to achieve the desired directivity and sound quality.

5. How does the angle of first minimum affect the overall sound quality of a loudspeaker?

The angle of first minimum plays a crucial role in the overall sound quality of a loudspeaker. If it is too wide or too narrow, it can result in poor sound imaging, uneven frequency response, and other issues. A well-designed loudspeaker will have a carefully calculated angle of first minimum to ensure optimal sound quality and directivity.