Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Love, love, love

1. Never

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Once

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. More than once

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. Depends on the definition of love (see below)

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    How many times have you been in love, if ever? Please describe your perception of romantic love, or what you believe love should be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I posted this on another forum about a year ago:

I can't believe I actually wrote that. I've been in love twice.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have never been in love. It is a shame.

Although I would love to feel what love feels like. :)

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4
    Been in love once, and I still am (still married to her too!) :!!)

Love, for me, boils down to 3 pretty simple things:
    1. I care more about her than life itself.
    2. I want to share all of life's most intimate moments with her.
    3. She gives my life more meaning than my life has by itself.

Everything else is gravy. :biggrin:
    EP

6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    Love is a weakness

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Smurf, why do you consider love a weakness?

I would have to disagree. But then perhaps that depends on one's definition of love, and then we could get into 'true love' vs . . . .

8. Jan 22, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to agree with your disagreement. Love to me is a wonderful strength. When two people are in love with each other, you always know someone has your back and will be there for you no matter what happens. You know each others strengths, weaknesses, attributes and faults, and wouldn't change a thing about them.

9. Jan 22, 2005 #8

Evo

and then they stick a knife in it. :biggrin:

Been in love twice.

Loseyourname, that was very intense. :approve:

10. Jan 22, 2005 #9
    "Love is when someone else's happiness is absolutely essential to your own." I don't remember who said that but I agree.

11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said when two people are in love with each other. Someone who really loves you won't stab you in the back. Well, tribdog might, but it would never be on purpose, and not with a knife; it would be some unfortunate accident with office supplies or toothpicks or shrapnel from something he blew up. :tongue2:

12. Jan 23, 2005 #11
    Folks, don't forget unrequited love!

13. Jan 23, 2005 #12
    Once and it hurt badly, but life goes on. And the search continues whether it's the F train, the subway, the bus stop, library, stores, work..etc, potential soulmates are everywhere

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  14. Jan 23, 2005 #13
    Never. At my age, looks aren't as important as social standing (which usually but not always is associated with wealth), and unfortunately I have neither. So I don't see it ever happening to me. Unrequited love, I suppose it might happen one day, but I don't like betting on long odds. So I tend to avoid letting my feelings get too far in that direction.

Romantic love ... I wish you all the best of luck in that game.

15. Jan 23, 2005 #14
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Seriously though, love owns :redface: I'll have to go with more than once.

JasonRox don't fret! Atleast when you do find someone it'll be a bagillion times better! :biggrin:

16. Jan 23, 2005 #15

Astronuc

Love is certainly intense, and loseyourname describes the feeling quite well.

Love, if given unselfishly is very powerful. Love given selfishly, IMO, is not Love but meerly Desire.

Borrowing from a well know book:

This is what I learned from both sets of Grandparents and my Parents.

I also draw a distinction between 'in Love' and loving someone. 'In Love' is simply infatuation and can quickly dissipate. Loving someone is long term.

When I was single, I considered every eligible woman as a potential wife. I knew a number of very nice women. The only problem - one man can only marry one woman - well, at a time. However I married with the intent of being married all my life or all her life, i.e. until death do us apart.

If one is young, do not despair - the time will come. In the meantime, think about what you will bring to a relationship, i.e. what do you have to offer another.

On the negative side, Love lost hurts, and Love betrayed is devastating. So Love can be a risk - risk of being hurt.

To love one's spouse (or potential spouse) is to give one's heart and soul, which are the most precious gifts given by one to another, and they are to be cherished and honored as such.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  17. Jan 23, 2005 #16
    legos are pretty precious too

18. Jan 23, 2005 #17

Evo

I've always loved that quote. :approve:

19. Jan 23, 2005 #18

Evo

Moonbear, the Sisterhood has decided to contact Troy Hurtubise and get you one of his "bear suits" and his "fire paste" to cover it. "Troy Hurtubise says he doesn’t feel the heat, even with a 2000° C blowtorch flame blazing at his head."

We're going to have everyone at PF pitch in and get you enough (as your wedding present) to cover everything in your house with it. :biggrin:

20. Jan 23, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Paste sounds kind of messy. Can't we just add some of that fire resistant cloth to the bear suit? You know, the kind they make for protecting walls while soldering pipes? I have a small piece of it and it really can take the direct heat of a blowtorch (though it did start to get warm when I was working in a really tight spot and couldn't avoid hitting it continuously with the flame from the torch).

Well, with the bear suit on, at least I couldn't complain about being cold in the winter. tribdog might find it to be a bit off-putting on the honeymoon though. :rofl:

21. Jan 23, 2005 #20
    "been in love"
    Is this the same as 'falling in love'? or infatuation? or loving someone? There's also platonic love, parental love, etc etc.
    And where is the border between liking someone and being in love with someone? what's 'real' love?

something to ponder about.

anyway, I think I found my 'true' love. she makes me feel all warm and fluffy inside :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?