Love playing Playstation to get my head free - childish or allright?

Hey,

I've noticed that especially when I have to do some serious work (like studying for an examn as the deadline gets closer) I play Playstation a lot. I have an old Playstation 2 in my living room and whenever I feel overwhelmed or stuck or just as a reward for having made progress in my studies, I love to just chill on my couch and play a quick game.

When I study intense, or when I have like 6 or 8 hours of studying to look back on, I sometimes play every like 30 or 20 minutes (for a short gametime, of 5-10min). It kind of keeps me fresh and I feel capable of going back to study some more.

I don't usually play because my head is full and has no more room for knowledge. It's something else. I think playing is rather a reward. So I have a system: Say, I understood something new (even if it's a small thing), or, say, I just finished writing another page of my examn preparation notes, then I want to reward myself. For me, it's not chocolate or music, it's playing.

Of course, I used to say to myself: Playing is stupid, try to fill that time with a hobby or distraction that makes more sense. Like drawing (which is something I also do). But I noticed that e.g. drawing gets you involved quickly, and I loose focus on studying. That's why on Playstation, I almost exclusively play sports or racing or fighting games (they do not have storylines, they don't get me involved).

Also, I truly loved games (especially fancy 3D graphics) since I can remember. I don't know if this is a way to justify my gaming, but I remember that my interest in games got me into programming way ahead of my fellow students. Also, I tend to draw characters from my favourite games. I know games are nerdy, but I like them.

What do you think about this? Am I wasting my time and just looking for ways to justify a stupid hobby? Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy games as long as it's not an obsession and as long as they don't dominate my studying sessions?

What do you think?

Why would it not be alright to play a video game?

I don't get this thread...