Can Tire Inflators Provide 140 PSI at 0.3 CFM for Fine Spray Applications?

In summary, the individual is looking for a solution for their fine spray application that requires 140 psi and .3 CFM. They are hesitant to purchase a regular air compressor and are considering using a tire inflator, but are concerned about the lack of CFM ratings. The responder suggests that a full compressor system may be the best option, despite the higher cost. They also ask if the application needs to run on a 12V battery.
yangshi
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask. I have a fine spray application where I need ~140 psi but only .3CFM. I'm trying not to buy a regular air compressor (money wasted on unneeded CFM) and am looking at tire inflators, but very few of them have CFM ratings. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a good forum for the question.

The difficulty with using a tire inflator is that they don't have a control system to maintain a set pressure. I know it may seem like a big difference to spend $100 on a full fledged compressor system instead of $25 for a tire inflator, but I don't see an easy alternative in that.

Does it need to run on a 12V battery?

BoB

1. What is "low CFM high pressure air"?

"Low CFM high pressure air" refers to air that has a low flow rate (measured in cubic feet per minute or CFM) but is pressurized to a high level. This type of air is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications.

2. How is low CFM high pressure air generated?

Low CFM high pressure air is typically generated using a compressor, which compresses air to a high pressure and then releases it in a controlled manner. Depending on the application, different types of compressors may be used, such as reciprocating, rotary, or centrifugal compressors.

3. What are the benefits of using low CFM high pressure air?

There are several benefits to using low CFM high pressure air. Firstly, it allows for precise control of air flow and pressure, making it ideal for applications that require accuracy, such as in scientific experiments or industrial processes. Additionally, it is a cost-effective option, as it requires less energy to generate and can be used in a variety of applications.

4. What are some common applications of low CFM high pressure air?

Low CFM high pressure air is commonly used in a variety of industrial and scientific applications. It is often used in pneumatic systems for powering tools and equipment, as well as in laboratory experiments for controlling air flow and pressure. It can also be used in air brakes for vehicles, air bearings for machinery, and air knives for drying and cleaning surfaces.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with low CFM high pressure air?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when working with low CFM high pressure air. Due to the high pressure, there is a risk of injury if the air is not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate personal protective equipment when working with low CFM high pressure air. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections of equipment are necessary to prevent accidents and ensure safe operation.