1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low drag gas nose bullet idea

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    I have an idea that I would like to discuss.

My idea is to emit a low pressure low friction gas out the nose of a small arms bullet. I believe it would lower the drag over the body of the bullet thus increasing velocity and range.

I just need to know if the phyics are right is this possible and would it work? I have just filed for a patent so I hope the phyics are right lol.

What do you guyz think would be a good gas?

Any help would be great thanks for looking at the thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2
    You haven't described your reasoning, just the idea. Why do you think this would work? I can tell you that if you could somehow heat the air around the bullet you could reduce wave drag, which is substantial on a typical bullet.

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    Is there a pressurised gas that gives off extreme heat when it is released into a sea level atmosphere?

5. Jan 20, 2013 #4
    You still haven't justified your idea.

6. Jan 20, 2013 #5
    well i'm not an expert in phyics but i guessing if you release a lower pressure gas over the body of the bullet that means the air is thinner around the bullet thus reducing drag.

7. Jan 20, 2013 #6
    Are there two types of gas that when mixed have an extreme reation producing an enormous amount of heat?

8. Jan 21, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Regardless of the properties of this gas, where is it to be stored? Bullets, the actual projectile part, tend to be pretty small objects.

9. Jan 21, 2013 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Since you have filed for a patent then the the invention and drawings are open to the public. Why not just post all the information (description, drawings, and claims) here so members and visitors can see for themselves exactly what you proposed in the patent application? Then everyone would be far better equipped to offer the opinions and judgements you have asked for. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

(edit) What's a "low friction gas"? Can you give some example of one?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. Jan 21, 2013 #9
    The only thing I can think that the OP might be describing is hydrogen or helium, which is used in *light* *gas* guns, hence the name. But I do not think it is low friction so much as it has a much higher speed of sound than air.

11. Jan 21, 2013 #10
    How do you lower the pressure by adding gas? Adding gas increases the pressure. You can't displace a higher pressure gas with a lower pressure. You probably just end up making the pressure higher still.

12. Jan 22, 2013 #11
    I wonder if OP got his idea from supercavitating torpedoes, which work on a similar principle except underwater.

Not sure if the concept can be extended to a projectile in air....

Would a cryogenic gas have lower friction?

13. Jan 22, 2013 #12

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I had the same idea: supercavitating torpedoes!

14. Jan 22, 2013 #13

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A squirt of WD40?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook