Low frequency timer / flasher

In summary: The Wien Bridge oscillator will work, but you'll have to change the duty cycle to get the timing you need.
funnyguy
I want to build a low frequency, uneven cycle flasher somewhere around 10 seconds on, 5 seconds off. I planned on using a 555 timer and a MOSFET to drive my load, a small DC motor. Are there any other suggestions for something at low frequency? I'm just concerned at the R and C values needed for such low frequency as I might be able to buy a cheaper timer already assembled.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
funnyguy said:
I want to build a low frequency, uneven cycle flasher somewhere around 10 seconds on, 5 seconds off. I planned on using a 555 timer and a MOSFET to drive my load, a small DC motor. Are there any other suggestions for something at low frequency? I'm just concerned at the R and C values needed for such low frequency as I might be able to buy a cheaper timer already assembled.

Thanks.

Do you expect that since you need such timing control for your 555 that "the R and C values needed" will be expensive? What is the cost of one resistor and one capacitor combined?

A cheaper timer might be constructed by placing a gerbil on a rotary treadmill. You could mount a contactor near the circumference to energise a microswitch each revolution. You'd need to teach the gerbil the correct timing, and also feed him or her, so it might be cheaper to stick with the 555 timer.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

I believe what bobbywhy is saying, is that one R and C probably aren't going to cost you that much.

Use Mouser.com to find some L and C with $ values.
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/_/N-5g7r/
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Inductors/_/N-5gb4/ Also, you could try using an oscillator. I would suggest a Wien bridge oscillator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien_bridge_oscillator

That way, you would buy 2 R and 2C instead of one C and one L

You would have to change the duty cycle of the Wien Bridge oscillator. I am trying to find the circuit for that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I didn't think they would, but I think the original documentation and formulas I had misled me. Originally, I looked at the calculations and thought that even with R values in the 100 kohm ranges I would need very large $5+ capacitors to make the high time what I needed. I see now that even with 7.5k and a 1mF cap I'll be in the range I need.

I would suggest considering using a microcontroller instead of a 555 timer for your low frequency flasher. This would allow for more flexibility in adjusting the timing and duty cycle, and may also be more cost-effective in the long run. Additionally, you could potentially use a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal to control the speed of the DC motor, rather than using a MOSFET. This would also give you more control over the motor's speed. Alternatively, you could consider using a different type of timer, such as a 555 timer with an adjustable resistor, or a 555 timer with a potentiometer, to achieve your desired frequency. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on your specific project requirements and resources.

What is a low frequency timer / flasher?

A low frequency timer / flasher is a device that is used to control the timing and frequency of electrical signals. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and electronic circuits to generate precise and repetitive pulses of electricity.

How does a low frequency timer / flasher work?

A low frequency timer / flasher typically consists of a clock circuit, which generates a stable and accurate timing signal, and a control circuit, which uses this timing signal to trigger the flash or pulse. The timing can be adjusted by changing the resistors or capacitors in the control circuit, allowing for a wide range of frequencies to be produced.

What are the applications of a low frequency timer / flasher?

A low frequency timer / flasher has many applications in scientific research, such as in studies of animal behavior, plant growth, and muscle contractions. It is also used in electronic circuits to control the timing of switches, relays, and other components.

What are the advantages of using a low frequency timer / flasher?

A low frequency timer / flasher offers precise and repeatable timing, making it ideal for experiments that require precise control of timing. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to build, making it a popular choice for hobbyists and students.

Are there any limitations to using a low frequency timer / flasher?

While a low frequency timer / flasher is a useful tool, it is limited in its ability to generate high frequency signals. Additionally, some models may have a limited range of timing options or may require a power source to operate, which may not be suitable for all applications.