Low Latency IP Camera Solutions: Find 1080p30 Video

• Thread starter xortan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a low-latency IP camera with less than 100 ms of latency. The current equipment has a latency of 150-200 ms and the desired resolution is 1080p30. One possible solution is to send two streams from the camera, with one for recording and one for real-time viewing. However, it is mentioned that some Hikvision cameras may increase latency when sending two streams. The conversation also references articles discussing the complexities of latency and suggests looking into the source of the latency to better understand and potentially solve the issue.
xortan
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a solution for a low-latency IP camera with less than 100 ms of latency. Using a GigE camera is not possible and I would like to use 100BaseT if possible.

The closest I have gotten with our equipment is 150-200 ms of latency.

We would like to get 1080p30 video. One option I am thinking of is to send two streams from the camera, one with high resolution, high latency which will be used for recording. The second stream will be lower resolution, low latency, and that can be used for the real-time viewing.

Does anyone know of an IP camera board that can send two streams? The ones I have here are able to send two streams but the latency between the two is barely even noticeable.

Any ideas for other possible solutions?

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon!

Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I've seen it takes more than just the camera's specifications to create an "end-to-end" low latency video stream. For low-latency, typically an analog connection would be used (rather than an IP camera with video compression).

This article gives a good overview: http://www.design-reuse.com/articles/33005/understanding-latency-in-video-compression-systems.html

Edit- and another good white paper here, latency is very complictaed and depends on more than just the camera: http://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/wp_latency_live_netvid_63380_external_en_1504_lo.pdf

I have a network setup, an encoder/decoder and a video player that is able to give me an end-to-end latency of 80-120 ms. I was hoping to find a camera that has close to zero latency that I can input into this encoder/decoder.

It might be worth looking into the source of your latency.
By breaking down the image capture from the transmit and display
times, you can get a better understanding of where the problem is.
Understanding the problem may help solve it.

1. What is a low latency IP camera solution?

A low latency IP camera solution is a technology that allows for the real-time transmission of high-quality video from an IP camera to a receiver device with minimal delay. This means that the video is transmitted and received almost instantaneously, providing a seamless viewing experience.

2. How does a low latency IP camera solution differ from traditional IP cameras?

Traditional IP cameras typically have a delay of several seconds between the video being captured and it being transmitted and received. A low latency IP camera solution reduces this delay to a fraction of a second, making it ideal for applications where real-time video is necessary, such as live streaming or video conferencing.

3. What are the benefits of using a low latency IP camera solution?

One of the main benefits of using a low latency IP camera solution is the ability to have real-time video transmission without significant delays. This is important for applications such as security monitoring, live streaming events, and remote surveillance. Additionally, low latency solutions often have better video quality and can handle higher resolutions, such as 1080p30, compared to traditional IP cameras.

4. How does a low latency IP camera solution achieve minimal delay?

A low latency IP camera solution achieves minimal delay through various methods, such as using advanced compression algorithms, optimizing network bandwidth, and utilizing specialized hardware. These technologies work together to reduce the time it takes for the video to be captured, encoded, transmitted, and received, resulting in minimal delay.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a low latency IP camera solution?

One potential drawback of using a low latency IP camera solution is that it may require more advanced hardware and infrastructure compared to traditional IP cameras. This can result in higher costs for implementation and maintenance. Additionally, the lower latency may come at the expense of video quality in some cases, as the compression algorithms used to achieve minimal delay may sacrifice some image detail. However, these drawbacks are often outweighed by the benefits of real-time video transmission for many applications.