1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Latency IP Camera

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a solution for a low-latency IP camera with less than 100 ms of latency. Using a GigE camera is not possible and I would like to use 100BaseT if possible.

The closest I have gotten with our equipment is 150-200 ms of latency.

We would like to get 1080p30 video. One option I am thinking of is to send two streams from the camera, one with high resolution, high latency which will be used for recording. The second stream will be lower resolution, low latency, and that can be used for the real-time viewing.

Does anyone know of an IP camera board that can send two streams? The ones I have here are able to send two streams but the latency between the two is barely even noticeable.

Any ideas for other possible solutions?

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I've seen it takes more than just the camera's specifications to create an "end-to-end" low latency video stream. For low-latency, typically an analog connection would be used (rather than an IP camera with video compression).

This article gives a good overview: http://www.design-reuse.com/articles/33005/understanding-latency-in-video-compression-systems.html

Edit- and another good white paper here, latency is very complictaed and depends on more than just the camera: http://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/wp_latency_live_netvid_63380_external_en_1504_lo.pdf

5. Jun 28, 2016 #4
    I have a network setup, an encoder/decoder and a video player that is able to give me an end-to-end latency of 80-120 ms. I was hoping to find a camera that has close to zero latency that I can input into this encoder/decoder.

6. Jun 28, 2016 #5
    It might be worth looking into the source of your latency.
    By breaking down the image capture from the transmit and display
    times, you can get a better understanding of where the problem is.
    Understanding the problem may help solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted