Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low MCLR Voltage on PIC

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have built a circuit with a PIC micro-controller (16F877A). I have connected +5 V supply to the MCLR pin through a resistor of 4.7 kΩ. All I saw in sample designs were 4.7 kΩ or 10 kΩ but my circuit doesn't work. When I measure the potential difference between the ground and the MCLR pin I read a 4.40 V value.

I have two questions now.

1) Do I have to use a smaller resistor?
    2) Why all the sample designs with 4.7 kΩ are OK and mine is not? What can I be missing? What may cause this huge potential drop (About 0.70 V)?

Some additional information found by mistake:

1) Once the PIC didn't fit to the socket well and the MCLR pin was not plugged in. When I measure the potential difference, it was about 5 V.

2) While I was trying to measure current I put one of the probes on MCLR and the other one to the OSC1/CLKIN by mistake (It is a multimeter with two probes) the circuit worked.

With the help of the additional information could you please comment on what my problem can be?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted