1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Pass Filter

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    Exams are coming up and i've been doing some revision from past papers. Having issues with working out part c of the attached problem. I've already calculated part a and b, possibly correct. Basically I simplified resistances and capacitance. And to have a constant frequency I let Z equal the inverse of the simplified resistance to cancel ω the frequency component. I then used this information to determine a new resistance and capacitance that had no ω component.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you did parts a and b correctly (they're really the same question) then you got R1C1 = R2C2 where 1/Z = G1 + sC1, G1 = 1/R1, and R2 = 1/G2 = 10K and C2 = 1 nF.

Now R1 → 2R1 so what is your new transfer function? And same question when R1 → R1/2. Do you know how to draw Bode plots?

Part 1 c iii does not specify the circuit so can't be answered.

4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    Not sure exactly what you meant by your answer to the first two parts.. However the way i calculated it was by simplifying the resistor and capacitor in parallel. This gave me 1x10^4 + 1x10^6/jw. Then I assumed that to remove jw, since Z is now in series with this equivalent resistance, it would have to equal -1x10^6/jw.

For part b. I assumed a resistor of 1Ω in parallel with a capacitor of 0.1x10^-6. Simplifying this to obtain 1x10^6/jw + 1. I assume this answer would be negative as that's how it would cancel if it was added in series. This is the new realised Z which then adds to the result of the previous question which gave a result of 9999Ω. Which has no ω component.

Is this the correct approach?

Also, I'm not sure how to draw a bode plot. I've done them in practical classes with a simulation program called SPICE, however the book doesn't explain how to draw them very well.. Would you mind giving me an overview of the process?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Jun 6, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by 'simplifying'? Do you mean determining the combined impedance of the 10K resistor and 1 nF capacitor in parallel? If so, you did that wrong. Y = G + jwC so Z = 1/Y where G = 1/R. The real part of the complex impedance of the 10K and 1 nF is frequency-dependent.

BTW 1 nF = 10^(-9)F, not 10^(-6).

So you don't have the correct network for frequency-independent gain yet.

In this situation I know from experience that it's much easier to deal in admittance Y, conductance G and susceptance B than impedance Z, resistance R and reactance X. The relations are simple: Y = 1/Z, B = 1/X and G = 1/R. Example: for a capacitor, B = wC and Y = jB.

You'll recall that for parallel-connected components, susceptances are added: so for your R and C, Y = G + jB = G + jwC, G = 1/R.

Given the above, what is Vout/Vin of your diagram if we replace Z with Y = 1/Z?

This is much too long a subject for me to discuss here. Look at

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/econtrolhtml/Freq/Freq5.html or

www.dartmouth.edu/~sullivan/22files/Bode_plots.pdf

6. Jun 6, 2013 #5
    Ok thanks for all your help!

Just to get me back on track, Z is meant to equal Z0 which is: 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)?

I just used the relationships you were describing to find: Y = 1 x 10^(-9)jw + 1/10000

Then to find Impedance: Z = 1/Y, therefore Z = 1/(1x10^(-9)jw + 1/10000)

Is this correct so far?

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fine so far! But forget Z of your network. You'll be dealing with Y's instead.

Also, don't put in numbers yet. Call the 1 nF = C2 and the 10K = R2 = 1/G2.

Now, what is Vout/Vin in terms of this Y2 = G2 + jwC2 and the Y equivalent of the Z as marked on your diagram? Defie Y1 = 1/Z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted