How can I efficiently compress and utilize flue gas in an off-grid house?

In summary, Baluncore suggests using porous packing material to diffuse the flue gas and avoid build up of creosote.
GanymedeFarmer
I've been lurking on these forums for years now; so much of my idea-seeking brings me here, it's remarkable, even to me, that I've never created an account. Here I am now though, so let's jump in shall we?

Background:
I'm designing an off-grid house for myself. I have most of the details sorted and have moved on to more elaborate and speculative ideas. One of many is to use the flue gas from my fireplace to supplement a photobioreactor with CO2 and a small amount of heat.

Before the flue gas reaches the reactor tank, most of its heat will have already been extracted and put to use, so that is of little concern here. Based on the temperature and design of the combustion chamber, we can assume that the particulate component of the gas is minimal.

Based on the size of the photobioreactor, only a small fraction of the flue gas will need to be diverted and compressed. The flue gas will need to be compressed sufficiently to force it through an aerator under a ≈1.5 meter water column. The (greater) fraction of the gas which is not dissolved or consumed by the algae and bacteria in the reactor will be vented outside.

Being off-grid, I will have very little energy to bring to bear. However it's done, it will have to be efficient.

The Question:
What are your suggestions?

I was considering a squirrel cage blower, but I doubt it could generate the necessary pressures. A reciprocating compressor would be fairly efficient, but I'm not sure it would have the throughput I want.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are considering compressing the flue gas sufficiently to push it down against the head of water when the energy used for compression will be lost as it bubbles up to the surface.

Consider instead, moving water from the reactor around a loop. At one place in that loop, the water contacts the flue gas and so absorbs CO2 and heat. The water then returns to the reactor where it is reinserted far from the point it was drawn. That eliminates pressure differences due to head, and permits use of a thermal syphon. Counterflow heat exchangers can be used to regulate heat flow.

I like the idea of using a thermal siphon, I'll have to look into the design. Even without using a thermal siphon, flowing the water through the flue gas, instead of the other way around, really does simplify the engineering.

I'm thinking of two rectangular plates three or four centimeters apart. Flue gas enters just above the bottom of the cell, water from just below the top. Both are diffused and intermixed. Water exits and the bottom, gas is vented out the top.

I would use a porous packing material between the plates, but even with the relatively clean combustion of this system, I'd be afraid of creosote build up.

Low energy consumption (possibly no added energy using a thermal siphon), and a high level of intermixing. I like it. I think I'll do some research and then make a drawing.

Thanks for your thoughts Baluncore.

What is a Low Power Flue Gas Compressor?

A Low Power Flue Gas Compressor is a type of compressor used in industrial settings to increase the pressure and flow of flue gas, which is produced during the combustion of fuels such as coal, oil, or natural gas.

How does a Low Power Flue Gas Compressor work?

A Low Power Flue Gas Compressor works by using a motor or turbine to drive a rotating impeller, which compresses the flue gas and increases its pressure. The compressed gas is then discharged through an outlet to be used for various purposes, such as fuel combustion or industrial processes.

What are the benefits of using a Low Power Flue Gas Compressor?

The main benefits of using a Low Power Flue Gas Compressor include increased efficiency and reduced energy consumption. By compressing the flue gas, the compressor helps to extract more energy from the fuel, resulting in lower emissions and cost savings for the company.

What are the common applications of a Low Power Flue Gas Compressor?

A Low Power Flue Gas Compressor is commonly used in power plants, refineries, and other industrial facilities that produce large amounts of flue gas. It can also be used in waste incineration, cement production, and other processes that involve the combustion of fuels.

How do I choose the right Low Power Flue Gas Compressor for my application?

The right Low Power Flue Gas Compressor for your application will depend on factors such as the flow rate and pressure requirements, the type of gas being compressed, and the specific needs of your facility. It is important to consult with a reputable supplier to determine the best compressor for your needs.