Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low pressure in water pipe

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    Hey,

I was wondering of a way to increase water pressure in a pipeline when I think that to much water is being taken from the pipe.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So when too much water is being taken from the pipeline, your goal is to force MORE water to come out of the pipeline, is that correct?

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    Basically there are a bunch of outlets along this pipeline and I want to increase the pressure of water coming out.

Here is the scenario, there were two water pumps feeding water to two seperate locations, one was beyong repair and instead of being replaced water was taken from the other water pipe at multiple locations.

This is what i think may be happening:

The reason i think the water pressure is low is to much water is being used at other points, meaning either there isn't enough water flowing through the pipe for the amount which is needed.

Or the increase in velocity of the water travelling through the pipe has reduced the pressure due to the increase in friction present.

This is my understanding but looking for some guidance.

Thanks

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    The remaining pump cannot do the work for two pumps.

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Another thought - are there isolation valves that can be used to take the unused pump off-line. You don't want the one remaining pump to lose pressure by back-feeding the broken one.

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6
    There are two ways of increasing water pressure in you case, ether reduce the water flow (reduce number of outlets that demand water) or increase the main water supply flow rate. If you have a broken pump and you are drawing water from a source that is not designed to have more water drawn, then you will have a reduction in pressure (check on the water pump for max demand flow rate etc). If you don't have an isolation valve for your broken pump you can freeze the pipe and install one. Does the second system with the broken pump still retain a source of water that is not pressurized? it could be that by linking points of your working system into the broken system might cause a reduction in water pressure to compensate for pressurizing the second water supply. Overall i think its safe to say that there was probably a few tapped points off the working system at first, maybe to allow time for pump to be repaired, and poss. more have linked in without further investigation. Is the pressure low at every point in the system? Are all points in the system at the same ground level?

Dunk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Apr 9, 2012 #7
    Whoops, sorry everyone.

That sentence was suppose to say two water pipes not two water pumps.

The pipe system is very large and complex for me to explain on here or even provide an diagram.

But at water outlets in the same system I was recording readings of 500-600 kPa but at the part which i explained in the scenario sometimes it gets as low a 200 kPa.

I was either thinking of reinstating the second pipeline again or increasing the diameter of the pipe (or maybe both).

9. Apr 10, 2012 #8
  10. Apr 10, 2012 #9
    Is the location "which [you] explained in the scenario" at a higher elevation than the outlets?

11. Apr 10, 2012 #10
    Thanks Engineerme,

The part of the pipe system I am looking at is at the same elevation.

I only ask about the pipe diameter as on the same pipe system there is a section of pipe with a larger diameter which has a much larger pressure (600 kPa where the pipes I am looking at have less then 300 kPa).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook