Low-Speed Airfoil for 30 mi/h Plane: 12-14 lbs

In summary: A Comparison of Drag Coefficients for NACA 61 and Eppler 61 Airfoils at Low Reynolds Numbers by Yongjun Park.
physicsCU
OK guys, I need some help.

I need to find a low-speed airfoil, about 30 mi/h.

the plane will only be like 12-14 lbs of takeoff weight.

just a basic airfoil or a source so i can get the drag.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at this report. Even though it is for high speed testing, you will get some NACA airfoil numbers that you can research for low speed applications. I would recommend looking for something with a decent camber on the top and a relatively flat bottom. A symmetrical wing is not what you are going to want if maximizing lift is what you are after. If all else fails and you can't find anything, take a look at basic R.C. airplanes at a hobby shop.

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1935/naca-report-492/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I was looking at something with a deep camber, but it doesn't matter yet, I am just trying to get a basic drag number from it.

physicsCU said:
OK guys, I need some help.

I need to find a low-speed airfoil, about 30 mi/h.

the plane will only be like 12-14 lbs of takeoff weight.

just a basic airfoil or a source so i can get the drag.

Just make sure the wing area is big enough.
E.g. if you take an eppler 61 as your airfoil, it has lift coefficients (2d) between 0.5-1 between angle of attack 0-5 degrees[1]. Taking 0.75 as the coefficient, 12 pounds = 5.44 kg as the weight, and 30 mi/h as the speed, the required wing area comes out to be 0.65 m2. The actual will naturally be larger.

Also the drag coefficient (2d) for the same is around 0.1[1] for the same angles of attack. If you calculate, the power required for flight comes out to be 117 W. Again the actual power required will be definitely larger. So just make sure you have a powerful engine.

Lastly if you haven't already, search for papers on MAVs on sites like scholar.google.com and thesis' on the internet. They help alot.

1 - Aerodynamic Measurements at Low Reynolds Numbers for Fixed Wing Micro Aerial Vehicles by Thomas J. Mueller.

Last edited:

1) What is a low-speed airfoil?

A low-speed airfoil is a type of wing design that is specifically optimized for use at lower speeds, typically under 100 miles per hour. These airfoils have a flatter shape compared to high-speed airfoils, which allows for greater lift at lower speeds.

2) What is the significance of a low-speed airfoil for a 30 mi/h plane?

A low-speed airfoil is important for a 30 mi/h plane because it is specifically designed to provide optimal lift and performance at lower speeds. This allows the plane to fly efficiently and safely at its intended speed without stalling.

3) How much weight can a 12-14 lbs low-speed airfoil support?

The weight a low-speed airfoil can support depends on various factors such as the shape and size of the airfoil, as well as the speed and angle of attack of the plane. However, on average, a 12-14 lbs low-speed airfoil can support approximately 1-2 times its weight.

4) Can a low-speed airfoil be used for faster planes?

While low-speed airfoils are designed for optimal performance at lower speeds, they can also be used for faster planes. However, they may not provide as much lift and efficiency compared to high-speed airfoils at higher speeds.

5) How does a low-speed airfoil affect the overall performance of a plane?

The design of a low-speed airfoil is crucial in determining the overall performance of a plane. It affects factors such as lift, drag, and stability, which ultimately impact the plane's speed, efficiency, and control. A well-designed low-speed airfoil can greatly enhance the performance of a plane at lower speeds.