Calculating Air Speed for Low Flying RC Airplanes

• Thread starter woodturner550
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: So the starting pressure will be higher than the max pressure. The max pressure will be taken when the airplane is stationary. Basically, you want to take the difference in pressure readings from your two sensors and use that as your airspeed.
woodturner550
I need a formula to calculate the speed of air moving over an RC airplane. Because the plane will not be flying above 2000 ft and this plane flies at less than 15 miles per hour max, the formula can be very basic I think.
Example of sensors:
I have two very sensitive barometer (temperature compensated), one is for the altitude and the other is for speed of the aircraft in air( similar to a pitot tube). The plane has a GPS for the ground speed of the plane. The need for the air speed of the aircraft is to be used to guide the control computer as to the amount of input into the controls to accomplish tasks (turn, climb rate etc). Because the airplane flies so slowly power must be applied to get enough air flow across the rudder to cause a turn. Many times the plane is standing still in a slight breeze or even appears to fly backward.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what are you actually looking for? You said you essentially have a Pitot probe, so you already have airspeed. What other speed do you need?

I only have the pressure reading from the sensor in the pitot tube. I need to relate that reading to airspeed of the aircraft. I also have the barometric pressure without the pitot tube.

Thanks,

Thanks, I was aware of the wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed. The big problem is that takes a lot of calculation. I was looking for a simplier way to figure air speed...this is for a radio controlled airplane. Less that 15 miles per hour and flight time in the minutes. I was just hopeing that there was a simpler formula.

I guess I will have to fly it with a data logger and go from there. Total difference in the starting pressure and the max pressure logged devided by 15(mph) will give an approximation good enought for this project.

Thanks again.

That'll be hideously inaccurate (to the point of uselessness). The correct function is based on the square of velocity, so modeling it as linear defeats the purpose of having a sensor in the first place.

Probably the easiest accurate formula I can think of is to use V = sqrt(2*(Ptotal - Pstatic)/rho). If you're near sea level, using 1.225 kg/m3 for rho is close enough, otherwise you can correct for your starting altitude.

That is what I am looking for. Thanks.

I will be using the starting pressure due to the fact that the airplane will be flown from several places, one in the mountains.

What is a low speed airspeed problem?

A low speed airspeed problem refers to a situation where an aircraft is unable to maintain a steady airspeed at a desired level. This can be caused by various factors such as changes in wind speed, altitude, or air density.

What are the potential consequences of a low speed airspeed problem?

The consequences of a low speed airspeed problem can range from minor discomfort for passengers to serious safety hazards. A low airspeed can result in loss of lift and control, making it difficult for the pilot to maintain the desired flight path or altitude.

What are some common causes of low speed airspeed problems?

Some of the common causes of low speed airspeed problems include changes in air density due to weather conditions, incorrect aircraft weight and balance, mechanical issues with the aircraft, or pilot error.

How can low speed airspeed problems be prevented?

Low speed airspeed problems can be prevented by conducting thorough pre-flight checks and ensuring that the aircraft is properly maintained. It is also important for pilots to continuously monitor airspeed and make adjustments as needed.

What should a pilot do if they encounter a low speed airspeed problem during flight?

If a pilot encounters a low speed airspeed problem during flight, they should follow the appropriate emergency procedures outlined in their aircraft's manual. This may include adjusting the aircraft's pitch or throttle, or making a controlled descent to a lower altitude where air density is higher.