Low-Temp Liquid Helium System: Evaporation Heat & Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of liquid helium in equilibrium with its vapor at very low temperature T. The mass of the gas is neglected compared to the liquid, as well as the heat capacities of the gas and walls. The question is raised about the amount of heat needed for the liquid to evaporate and if this will lower the system's temperature. The concept of liquid-vapor equilibrium is mentioned and it is suggested to first understand basic concepts such as equilibrium concentration, temperature, and heat of vaporization. The topic of "quantum cooling" is also brought up as a potential interest in relation to helium at low temperatures. Finally, the question of whether the pressure change will cause some of the liquid to turn into gas and decrease the
yamata1
We consider a system composed of liquid helium in equilibrium with its vapor at very low temperature T, each phase being considered extensive. We neglect the mass of the gas compared to that of the liquid, as well as the heat capacities of the gas and the walls compared to that of the liquid.
On what condition can we consider that the amount of heat necessary for the evaporation of the liquid is taken internally in the system, reducing its temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the question. If you fix T by saying that the system is already at equilibrium then nothing happens. It is equilibrium. You need to provide some further input.

Last edited:
dRic2 said:
I don't really understand the question. If you fix T by saying that the system is already at equilibrium than nothing happens. It is equilibrium. You need to provide some further input.
Perhaps it's an unstable equilibrium.I guess T is close to the evaporation temperature.

I don't think you are very familiar with the concept of liquid-vapor equilibrium. I think there are some basic concepts that you should master first (like equilibrium concentration, temperature, heat of vaporization ecc...). One you understand those concept (which are covered in every book on thermodynamics) then understanding the process you asked for is not hard at all. Writing all those stuff here might take a while though (at least for me, maybe some more expert member could give you a quicker explanation).

BTW given the generalities of the topic I assume that if you ask in particular for Helium at low temperature you might be interested in the so called "quantum cooling" (that is, the way you can reach astonishing low temperatures in labs/quantum computers). If it is so, check out this video:

dRic2 said:
I don't think you are very familiar with the concept of liquid-vapor equilibrium. I think there are some basic concepts that you should master first (like equilibrium concentration, temperature, heat of vaporization ecc...). One you understand those concept (which are covered in every book on thermodynamics) then understanding the process you asked for is not hard at all. Writing all those stuff here might take a while though (at least for me, maybe some more expert member could give you a quicker explanation).

BTW given the generalities of the topic I assume that if you ask in particular for Helium at low temperature you might be interested in the so called "quantum cooling" (that is, the way you can reach astonishing low temperatures in labs/quantum computers). If it is so, check out this video:

If we change the pressure condition below a certain pressure some of the liquid will turn into gas no ?

If you are at equilibrium and you lower the pressure then some of the liquid will turn into gas and the liquid temperature decreases (if you are talking about an isolated system).

1. What is a low-temp liquid helium system?

A low-temp liquid helium system is a specialized device used in scientific research to maintain extremely low temperatures, typically below -269 degrees Celsius. It is used to study the properties of materials and substances at these extreme temperatures.

2. How does a low-temp liquid helium system work?

A low-temp liquid helium system works by using a cryogenic refrigeration system to cool helium gas to its liquid state. The liquid helium is then circulated through a closed loop system, where it absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, causing it to evaporate. This evaporation process cools the surrounding environment, allowing for precise temperature control.

3. What is the purpose of evaporation heat in a low-temp liquid helium system?

The purpose of evaporation heat in a low-temp liquid helium system is to remove heat from the system and maintain a constant low temperature. As the liquid helium evaporates, it absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, keeping the system at a stable temperature.

4. How is temperature controlled in a low-temp liquid helium system?

Temperature is controlled in a low-temp liquid helium system through a combination of the refrigeration system and the evaporation process. The refrigeration system keeps the helium gas at a constant low temperature, while the evaporation process removes any excess heat from the system to maintain a stable temperature.

5. What are the applications of a low-temp liquid helium system?

A low-temp liquid helium system has many applications in scientific research, including in materials science, quantum computing, and superconductivity studies. It is also used in medical and industrial applications, such as in MRI machines and cryopreservation of biological samples.