Low Semicontinuity: Understanding Liminf & Diagrams

• Thread starter kaosAD
  • Start date
In summary, lower semicontinuity is a property of a function where the function value cannot jump down at a point. It can be defined in terms of a neighborhood of that point or as the infimum of the function over its domain. It is the opposite of upper semicontinuity where the function value cannot jump up at a point.
kaosAD
Lower Semicontinuity

I found this in the web:
We say that [tex]f[/tex] is lower semi-continuous at [tex]x_0[/tex] if for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] there exists a neighborhood [tex]U[/tex] of [tex]x_0[/tex] such that [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] in [tex]U[/tex]. Equivalently, this can be expressed as

[tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0).[/tex]

The first definition is quite clear to me (by looking at an example of lower semicontinuity diagram). But I don't understand its equivalence to the second definition. Could someone draw the connection?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kaosAD said:
I found this in the web:
We say that [tex]f[/tex] is lower semi-continuous at [tex]x_0[/tex] if for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] there exists a neighborhood [tex]U[/tex] of [tex]x_0[/tex] such that [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] in [tex]U[/tex]. Equivalently, this can be expressed as

[tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0).[/tex]

The first definition is quite clear to me (by looking at an example of lower semicontinuity diagram). But I don't understand its equivalence to the second definition. Could someone draw the connection?

Looks pretty straight forward to me. Suppose [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all x in some neighborhood U. Let xn be a sequence converging to x0. Then eventually, it will be in U. Since we can ignore x's that are not in U, its limit must satisfy [tex]lim f(x_n)\geq f(x_0)[/tex] and so of course must lim inf.

Conversely suppose [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0)[/tex] and suppose there were no neighborhood U as above. Let Un be (x0- 1/n, x0+ 1/n). Since none of these can satisfy [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all x in Un, there must exist xn in Un such that [tex]f(x) \leq f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex]. But then, for that sequence, [tex]lim f(x_n)\leq f(x_0)[/tex], contradicting [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0)[/tex].

Just in case some one out there is thinking "lower semi-continuous" must have something to do with "continuous", let me point out that the function f(x)= 1000 if x is not 0, 0 if x= 0 is lower semi-continuous at x=0!

HallsofIvy said:
Looks pretty straight forward to me. Suppose [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all x in some neighborhood U. Let xn be a sequence converging to x0. Then eventually, it will be in U. Since we can ignore x's that are not in U, its limit must satisfy [tex]lim f(x_n)\geq f(x_0)[/tex] and so of course must lim inf.!
This is the part I don't understand. Suppose [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all x in some neighborhood U. Then for some x in the neighborhood of U, [tex]f(x) < f(x_0)[/tex] may hold true since [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex]. I am lost.

HallsofIvy said:
Conversely suppose [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0)[/tex] and suppose there were no neighborhood U as above. Let Un be (x0- 1/n, x0+ 1/n). Since none of these can satisfy [tex]f(x) > f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex] for all x in Un, there must exist xn in Un such that [tex]f(x) \leq f(x_0) - \epsilon[/tex]. But then, for that sequence, [tex]lim f(x_n)\leq f(x_0)[/tex], contradicting [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0} f(x) \geq f(x_0)[/tex].
I agree with this one.

Last edited:
Oh I see my problem now. The keyword that I missed was "for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], ..." .
I have one last question. How does one read [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0}[/tex]? Infimum of x at the limit point?

kaosAD said:
Oh I see my problem now. The keyword that I missed was "for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], ..." .
I have one last question. How does one read [tex]\liminf_{x \to x_0}[/tex]? Infimum of x at the limit point?

No, the "infimum of x at x0" is x0!

Strictly speaking "lim inf" applies to sequences. Normally "lim inf xn" means the infimum of all subsequential limits. "lim inf f(x)", as x goes to x0 is the infinimum of all possible subsequential limits of {f(xn)} over all possible sequences {xn} converging to x0.

An alternate definition of lower semicontinuity (from Real and Complex Analysis, by Walter Rudin) is [itex]f:X\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], where X is a topological space is lower semicontinuous if

[tex]\left\{ x:f(x)>\alpha\right\}\mbox{ is an open set in X, } \forall \alpha\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].

It's not a friendly definition, but it is equivalent. Upper semicontinuity is defined the same with "<" in place of ">".

Infimum of semicontinuous function

hello again,

Let [tex]f[/tex] be lower semicontinous function. Say the infimum of [tex]f[/tex] exists and that [tex]f(x^*) = \inf_{x \in \textup{dom}(f)} f(x)[/tex]. Let [tex]\{x_k\}[/tex] be a sequence converging to [tex]x^*[/tex]. Since [tex]f[/tex] is lower semicontinuous, so

[tex]\liminf_{k \to \infty} f(x_k) \geq f(x^*)[/tex].

I am having problem imagining how the sequence would be like. The only one I can think of is [tex]\{x^*, x^*, x^*, \ldots \}[/tex]. Is this valid?

Last edited:
my favorite definition of upper semi continuous is that the value jumps up at individual points. e.g. the dimension of the kernel of a matrix of functions is upper semicontinuous, because the kernel can be bigger at points where the determinants of more submatrices vanish.

lower semi continuous is just the opposite: the value jumps down at points. so the dimension of the cokernel of a family of maps should do that i guess.

Sorry I am not able to comprehend your reply -- mainly due to my lack of understanding.

Anyway, I manage to clear my doubt now. Please ignore my silly 'sequence' in my last post.

However I've a new question. Supposing [tex]f, \{x_k\}[/tex] and [tex]x^*[/tex] are as defined in my last post. Since f is lower semicontinuous at [tex]x^*[/tex], hence

[tex]\liminf_{k \to \infty} f(x_k) \geq f(x^*) = \inf_{x \in \textup{ dom}(f)} f(x)[/tex].

This can be equivalently written as [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} f(x_k) \geq f(x^*)[/tex]. Is this true?

Last edited:
epsilon, schmepsilon, if f(x) = 1 for all x except x=0, and f(0) = 0, is f lower semicontinuous?

Sure, characteristic functions of open sets are always LSC (Lower SemiContinuous).

1. What is low semicontinuity?

Low semicontinuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function at a point when the function is approaching that point from below. It is closely related to the concept of liminf, or limit inferior, which is the smallest limit that a sequence of numbers can have.

2. How is low semicontinuity different from regular continuity?

In regular continuity, a function is considered continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Low semicontinuity, on the other hand, only requires that the limit inferior of the function at that point exists and is less than or equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What are some practical applications of low semicontinuity?

Low semicontinuity is commonly used in optimization and game theory, where it helps to analyze the behavior of minimization problems and to find equilibria. It is also used in the study of partial differential equations and in the analysis of material properties in physics and engineering.

4. How are liminf and low semicontinuity related?

Liminf and low semicontinuity are closely related concepts. In fact, low semicontinuity is often defined in terms of liminf. In general, the existence of a liminf for a function at a point implies low semicontinuity at that point, but the reverse is not always true.

5. Are there any real-world examples that can help understand low semicontinuity?

One example that can help understand low semicontinuity is the concept of stability in economics. In economics, a system is considered stable if small changes in the system do not result in large changes in the equilibrium state. This is similar to how low semicontinuity implies that a function is relatively stable at a point, as its value does not change significantly when approaching that point from below.