What is the Lower Bound of this Sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving repeated substitution and using induction to prove a sequence. The solution involves finding the minimum value using the first derivative and showing that it is greater than 3/11.
sunnybrooke

Homework Statement

08112012_54235_0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:
[tex]x_{n+1}=\frac{x^5_n + 1}{5x_n}=1[/tex]

[tex]x_{n+2}=\frac{x^5_{n+1} + 1}{5x_{n+1}}=\frac{1^5+1}{5}[/tex]

I think you have to do some sort of repeated substitution but I don't quite see it. Any help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunnybrooke said:

Homework Statement

08112012_54235_0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:
[tex]x_{n+1}=\frac{x^5_n + 1}{5x_n}=1[/tex]
Why would this be equal to 1? As far as you know to start with, only x1 is equal to 1 and then
[itex]x_2= 2/5[/itex], [itex]x_3= (32/3125+ 1)/2= 1580/3125= 316/625'[/itex] which is about 0.5056. x1 is the only term that is equal to 1.

[tex]x_{n+2}=\frac{x^5_{n+1} + 1}{5x_{n+1}}=\frac{1^5+1}{5}[/tex]

I think you have to do some sort of repeated substitution but I don't quite see it. Any help? Thanks.
Use induction. You already know that [itex]x_1= 1> 3/11[/itex]. Show that if [itex]x_n> 3/11[/itex] then [itex]x_{n+1}= (x_n^5+ 1)/5x_n> 3/11[/itex].

I meant to say [tex]x_{1+1}=\frac{x^5_1 + 1}{5x_1}=1[/tex]
Since the first term of the sequence on the left is [tex]x_{((1)+1)}[/tex]

won't it be [itex]x_2=1[/itex] and not [itex]x_1=1[/itex]?

Thanks.

sunnybrooke said:
Since the first term of the sequence on the left is [tex]x_{((1)+1)}[/tex]
No, the sequence is defined from n=1, so the first term is x1. You are confusing that with the first opportunity to use the recurrence relation.

haruspex said:
No, the sequence is defined from n=1, so the first term is x1. You are confusing that with the first opportunity to use the recurrence relation.

The notation is confusing me. The problem is equating two different sequences, right? And the sequence on the left is defined as xn+1 from n=1.

So for n=1: xn+1 = x(1)+1 = x2

Isn't this the first term?

Last edited:
Never mind; silly me. It is the definition of a recursive sequence.

I don't understand how exactly to prove by induction. Can I do the following?

[tex]x_{n+1}> ((3/11)^5+ 1)/5(3/11)= 0.74> 3/11[/tex]

sunnybrooke said:
Never mind; silly me. It is the definition of a recursive sequence.

I don't understand how exactly to prove by induction. Can I do the following?

[tex]x_{n+1}> ((3/11)^5+ 1)/5(3/11)= 0.74> 3/11[/tex]
No, that's not valid. What would happen to the bound on xn+1 if you made xn a bit larger? The numerator is ok, that would just boost xn+1 a bit more, but the denominator goes up too, and it's not obvious what the net effect is.
You need to show that x > 3/11 implies (x5+ 1)/5x > ((3/11)5+ 1)/5(3/11)

Unfortunately, I don't understand why that is implied.

Is this a valid solution?

[tex]x_n = \frac{x_{n-1}^5 +1}{5x_{n-1}}\\
f(x) = \frac{x^5+1}{5x}
[/tex]

Find the minimum using the first derivative.

[tex]f '(x)=\frac{4x^5-1}{5x^2}\\
f '(x)=0\\
x=(\frac{1}{4})^\frac{1}{5}\\

f(x) = \frac{((\frac{1}{4})^\frac{1}{5})^5+1}{5((\frac{1}{4})^\frac{1}{5})} \approx 0.33 \\

\frac{3}{11} \approx 0.273
[/tex]

The lowest possible value is greater than 3/11.

That proof is valid, but I suspect it is not in the spirit of the question. I'll give it some thought.

Thank you. That's what I thought too but at least now I've solved it. :) I'd love to find another way to solve it but I don't seem to understand your solution. :( I will look at it again.

What is the lower bound of a sequence?

The lower bound of a sequence is the smallest number that is included in the sequence. It is the starting point or minimum value of the sequence.

How is the lower bound determined?

The lower bound is determined by looking at all the numbers in the sequence and finding the smallest one. This number then becomes the lower bound of the sequence.

Why is the lower bound important in a sequence?

The lower bound is important because it sets the starting point for the sequence and helps define the range of numbers that will be included in the sequence. It also helps in determining the upper bound of the sequence.

Can the lower bound of a sequence change?

Yes, the lower bound of a sequence can change if new numbers are added to the sequence that are smaller than the current lower bound. However, if the lower bound is defined as a specific value, it will not change.

Is the lower bound always included in the sequence?

Not necessarily. Depending on the type of sequence, the lower bound may or may not be included in the sequence. For example, in a closed interval sequence, the lower bound is included, but in an open interval sequence, the lower bound is not included.