1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lower bound

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    I apologize if this belongs in the EE section; I figured that I might get a better response if I posted it in the math section.

This question regards a lower bound on the channel capacity of an arbitrary channel (single channel, per use) by means of the 'power inequality'.

I really want to solve this myself so if someone could just nudge me in the right direction I would be very grateful. The upper bound in terms of the entropy power is trivial to show, but for some reason in employing the entropy power inequality I cannot arrive at the result that I seek.

The channel is noise additive using the relations that Y = X + Z, where Z is the noise source and X is the channel symbol.

By defining

[tex]Q \triangleq (2\pi e)^{-1} 2^{2h(z)}[/tex]

and using the inequality

[tex]e^{2h(y)} \geq e^{2h(x)} + e^{2h(z)}[/tex]

I wish to derive a lower bound on the channel capacity in terms of [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex]. The upper bound on the capacity (in terms of the entropy power) is simply [itex]C \leq \frac{1}{2}log(\frac{P+N}{Q})[/itex], where N is the noise power.

Any shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

All the best
    -Brendan

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted