Calculating an Integral with the Limit of Infinity

In summary, when attempting to find the lower(upper) integral of a function f(x), it is insufficient to just look at the sequence of partitions P_k. The sequence must be bounded and piecewise continuous for the integral to exist.)
steven187
hello all

another simple question would it be true to say

[tex]\int_{a_{L}}^{b} f = lim_{k \rightarrow \infty }L(f,P_k)[/tex]

thanxs

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean, is this a continuation of the other thread? I strongly suggest you work through the relevant section of a Real Analysis text in rigor, paying attention to how things are defined and how things are proved..

A Lower Sum of f(x) on [a,b], with the partition [tex]P= \{ a=x_0<x_1<x_2<...<x_n=b \}[/tex]:
[tex]L(f,P)=\sum_{k=1}^{n} m_k \left( x_k-x_{k-1} \right) [/tex]
where [tex]m_k[/tex] is a lower bound of f(x) on [tex] \left[ x_{k-1}, x_k \right] [/tex] (i.e., [tex]m_k \leq f(x) \forall x\epsilon \left[ x_{k-1}, x_k \right] [/tex].
An Upper Sum of f(x) on [a,b] is defined
[tex]U(f,P)=\sum_{k=1}^{n} M_k \left( x_k-x_{k-1} \right) [/tex]
where [tex]M_k[/tex] is an upper bound of f(x) on [tex] \left[ x_{k-1}, x_k \right] [/tex] (i.e., [tex]m_k \geq f(x) \forall x\epsilon \left[ x_{k-1}, x_k \right] [/tex].

The Lower Integral of f(x) on [a,b]:
[tex]L(f) = sup \. L(f,P)[/tex] over all partitions of [a,b].
The Upper Integral of f(x) on [a,b]:
[tex]U(f) = inf \. U(f,P)[/tex] over all partitions of [a,b].

The Reimann Integral: If U(f)=L(f), then [tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex] exists and is defined as
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=U(f)=L(f)[/tex].

Back to your question:

You haven't defined everything. What you have is certainly not true - your [tex] \left P_k \right[/tex] looks like an arbitrary sequence, and you have no restrictions on f.
Here's what is sufficient (you may have been thinking of): If f is bounded, and you have a sequence [tex] \left P_k \right[/tex] such that
[tex] lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}\left( L(f,P_k)-U(f,P_k) \right)=0[/tex], then you can see from the definition that [tex]L(f)=U(f)=lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}L(f,P_k)=lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}U(f,P_k)[/tex].
The kind of sequence of partitions that might satisfy this involves partitions getting 'finer and finer'; for example, where each partition is a refinement of the previous one.
If you look at a very clean, sterilized example, like f(x)=x^2 which is continuous, bounded, and has a bounded derivative, than any partition sequence where the partition size approaches zero will be sufficient. To prove this, given a max. partition size [tex]\delta[/tex], find an upper bound on [tex]M_k-m_k[/tex] on an arbitrary subinterval (hint: bounded derivative) - and plug this into the sums to show that the upper and lower sums converge to the same thing.
This is NOT a generally applicable procedure; see what happens if f is unbounded or very discontinuous.

(edited for errors)

Last edited by a moderator:
hello rachmaninoff

thanxs for the your explanation it really helped to link the concepts together on what i am studying, I am thinking that if k determines the number of sub-intervals(thats what k is, am i right?) then as k goes to infinity then the partition gets finer and finer and so the limit of L(f,Pk) and U(f,Pk) approaches the lower integral and the upper integral respectively as long as f is bounded and that pk is defined by a particular sequence, would i be correct, these are the thoughts that came to me from our other thread where you said

then the supremum (infimum) of the [tex]L(f,P)[/tex] or [tex]U(f,P)[/tex] is the same as the limit of the sequence [tex]U(f,p_k)[/tex]:
sup{[tex]L(f,P):P[/tex] is a partition of [a,b]}=lim [tex] U(f,p_k)[/tex]
Intuitively, as your partition gets "finer and finer", the error of the lower (upper) sum gets less.

when you explained finer and finer do you mean that the difference between any 2 consecutive elements will get smaller and smaller as the number of elements in the partition increases ?

thanxs

Here's a pathological case that might explain your questions:

Consider the sequence of partitions of the interval [0,1] where
[tex]P_1= \left( \left[ 0,\frac{1}{2} \right] , \left[ \frac{1}{2},1 \right] \right) [/tex]
[tex]P_2= \left( \left[ 0,\frac{1}{2} \right] , \left[ \frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{4} \right] , \left[ \frac{3}{4},1 \right] \right) [/tex]
[tex]P_3= \left( \left[ 0,\frac{1}{2} \right] , \left[ \frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{4} \right] , \left[ \frac{3}{4},\frac{7}{8} \right] , \left[ \frac{7}{8},1 \right] \right) [/tex]

and in general

[tex]P_n=\left{ x_0=0<x_1=\frac{1}{2}<...<P_k=\frac{2^{i-1}}{2^i}<...<x_n=1 \right}[/tex]

If you take your f(x)=x^2 example and apply the lower/upper sums to it using these partitions, you will find that they do not converge to the correct values (the lower/upper integrals) at all!

The definition of Lower/Upper Integral in terms of the supremum(infimum) of the lower(upper) sums, over the set of all possible partitions, does NOT imply anything about limits of arbitrary sequences of partitions.. Of course there must at least exist such sequences which converge to the correct value, whenever the supremum(infimum) exists.

Intuitively, as your partition gets "finer and finer", the error of the lower (upper) sum gets less.
Again, be careful: this is Analysis, you can't afford to make intuitive decisions. Consider

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if x is rational }\\0, & \mbox{ otherwise }\end{array}\right [/tex].​

No matter how finely you partition your [0,1] interval, you lower sum is always going to be zero, and your upper sum is always one. The 'error' cannot converge to zero; the Reimann integral does not exist. (edit: It will exist at least when the function is bounded and piecewise continuous.

edited: I hate LaTeX! :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be true. Think about this: [tex]P_k=\{a, b-\sum\limits_{n=1}^{k-1}\frac{b-a}{2^n}}, b-\sum\limits_{n=1}^{k-2}\frac{b-a}{2^n}}, \cdots, b-\frac{b-a}{4}-\frac{b-a}{2}, b-\frac{b-a}{2}, b\} [/tex]

steven187 said:
hello all

thanxs

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

What is the limit of infinity in relation to integrals?

The limit of infinity, or infinity symbol (∞), is used in integrals to represent an unbounded interval. This means that the upper or lower limit of the integral extends to infinity, rather than a specific number.

How do you calculate an integral with the limit of infinity?

To calculate an integral with the limit of infinity, you first need to determine the function or equation that represents the curve on the graph. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral. Finally, you can take the limit of infinity by letting the upper or lower limit of the integral approach infinity and solve for the value.

Why is it important to calculate integrals with the limit of infinity?

Calculating integrals with the limit of infinity allows us to accurately determine the total accumulation of a quantity over an unbounded interval. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where quantities may vary over infinite ranges.

What are some common applications of calculating integrals with the limit of infinity?

Integrals with the limit of infinity have many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and statistics. They are commonly used to calculate the area under a curve, determine the total distance traveled by an object, and find the total cost or profit of a business over time. They are also essential in understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and population growth.