Lower mass = more elliptical orbit?

In summary, the ellipticity of an orbit is not solely determined by the masses of the objects in the system, but also depends on initial conditions and history. Lower mass objects may tend to have more elliptical orbits because they are easier to disturb, requiring less energy to change their path.
vincentm
Does it? :confused:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
vincentm said:
Does it? :confused:
It shouldn't; orbits have many other factors that determine their path. But, do you mean lower mass of the primary body or "orbiting" body? The mass can determine the orbit's decay, change, tidal locking, etc. but shouldn't have much to do with initial eccentricity.

i mean the orbiting body. Let's say there is a system that contains just two bodies orbiting a star, one with a higher mass than the other. which one would have a more elliptical orbit? Or does this depend on the mass of the star it's orbiting?

vincentm said:
i mean the orbiting body. Let's say there is a system that contains just two bodies orbiting a star, one with a higher mass than the other. which one would have a more elliptical orbit? Or does this depend on the mass of the star it's orbiting?
In a binary system with unequal masses each orbit, as seen from the Centre of Mass of the combined system, is the mirror image of the other with dimensions inversely proportional to the mass of each body.

The eccentricities are equal.

Garth

vincentm said:
i mean the orbiting body. Let's say there is a system that contains just two bodies orbiting a star, one with a higher mass than the other. which one would have a more elliptical orbit?

The ellipticity of an orbit is not determined uniquely by the values of the masses in the system -- it depends also on its history and initial conditions. In other words, I could take the three-body system you describe above and give a kick to either one of the planets, making its orbit more elliptical.

One reason you might find that lower mass objects tend to have more elliptical orbits is that it takes less energy to disturb them. For example, I can send a satellite into an elliptical orbit with a small amount of fuel, while doing the same with the Earth would require an enormous quantity of energy.

Last edited:
SpaceTiger said:
The ellipticity of an orbit is not determined uniquely by the values of the masses in the system -- it depends also on its history and initial conditions. In other words, I could take the three-body system you describe above and give a kick to either one of the planets, making its orbit more elliptical.
One reason you might find that lower mass objects tend to have more elliptical orbits is that it takes less energy to disturb them. For example, I can send a satellite into an elliptical orbit with a small amount of fuel, while doing the same with the Earth would require an enormous amount of energy.
Thank you, that helps alot!

1. How does the mass of an object affect its orbit?

The mass of an object has a direct impact on the shape of its orbit. Objects with lower mass tend to have more elliptical orbits, meaning that the shape of their orbit is more oval-shaped rather than circular. This is because with lower mass, the object is not able to exert enough gravitational force to maintain a circular orbit.

2. What is the relationship between orbital shape and mass?

The relationship between orbital shape and mass is that as the mass of an object decreases, the shape of its orbit becomes more elliptical. This means that the orbit becomes less circular and more oval-shaped. Conversely, as the mass of an object increases, the orbit becomes more circular.

3. Why does lower mass result in a more elliptical orbit?

Lower mass results in a more elliptical orbit because with lower mass, the object is not able to exert enough gravitational force to maintain a circular orbit. This means that the object will be pulled more towards the larger body it is orbiting around, causing its orbit to become more elongated and elliptical in shape.

4. How does the shape of an orbit affect an object's speed?

The shape of an orbit has a direct impact on an object's speed. In a circular orbit, the object will maintain a constant speed throughout its orbit. However, in an elliptical orbit, the object's speed will vary depending on its distance from the larger body it is orbiting around. It will be fastest when it is closest to the larger body and slower when it is farther away.

5. Can an object with a lower mass have a circular orbit?

Yes, an object with a lower mass can have a circular orbit, but it would require a specific combination of mass, distance, and velocity. If an object has a lower mass, it would need to be at the perfect distance from the larger body it is orbiting around and have a specific velocity to maintain a circular orbit. Otherwise, it is more likely to have an elliptical orbit.