1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lowering a Piano with 2 ropes.

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two ropes are used to lower a 244.37 kg piano 9.47 m from a second-story window to the ground. How much work is done by gravity force? (T1=1805 N, q1=64°, T2=1112 N, q2=44°.)
    C11P111.jpg

How much work is done by T1 force?
    How much work is done by T2 force?
    2. Relevant equations
    Wt1= mgdTcos(theata)

3. The attempt at a solution

Wt1= mdTcos(theata)=RIDICULOUSLY HUGE and wrong lol. What is wrong with the way I am approaching this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force on the piano due to gravity is just the weight. So the work done by gravity is (force)(distance moved in direction of force) = weight times the distance lowered.

4. May 20, 2009 #3
    mmhmmm. I understand that part. But the main problem is the tension parts

5. May 20, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh sorry, I didn't see there were two more parts to the question.

6. May 20, 2009 #5
    I am sorry, I mean the work done by the first rope. I was thinking tension in my head. I thought the equation i came up with is right? What is wrong with it?

7. May 20, 2009 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vertical component of T1 is T1sin(θ), not T1cos(θ). You will also need to add a minus sign because the direction of displacement is opposite to this vertical component. So the work done by T1 will be -dT1sin(θ) (force times displacement in direction of force).

8. May 20, 2009 #7
    so the equation i should be using is Wt1=-d*sin(theata)*T

isn't T the force?

9. May 20, 2009 #8

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is d? Isn't it the displacement?

10. May 20, 2009 #9
    Yep! I got it thanks for the help I got it right but more importantly undersand where the anwser came from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook