Lower Impedance: Circuit Solutions to Help

• Thread starter Daniel Floyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary: MΩ, 5MΩ. You can get up to 10MΩ. At this point you can look at circuit and see that the base current is about 0 and the collector current is β times the base current. You can see that there is a large change in collector current for a small change in base current.In short, the base current can be about zero but the collector current still be a very good source of current. The collector can source current in the megaohms. That is what "the collector of a BJT has output impedance in the north of 10MΩ easily" means.In summary, the conversation is about lowering the impedance of a certain material, such
Daniel Floyd
how could i lower the impedance affecting a certain material. I am sure there is a circuit i can use to do this can anybody help??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Daniel Floyd said:
how could i lower the impedance affecting a certain material. I am sure there is a circuit i can use to do this can anybody help??

I have no idea what you mean by lower the impedance affecting a certain material.

Oh come on, it's obvious. He means, uh, well I'm pretty sure he means... Nope, you're right. Makes no sense at all yet :tongue2:

Connect a negative impedance generator in series of course.

A voltage follower is a 'circuit' that has a high input impedance and a low output impedance. Hope this is a constructive comment.

ok I am sorry guys i may not have made this verry clear. for instance crystals have a high impedance which causes low current can i either step this current up or do something to lower the impedance.

Use a FET as source follower. Use an op-amp as voltage follower.

Daniel Floyd said:
ok I am sorry guys i may not have made this verry clear. for instance crystals have a high impedance which causes low current can i either step this current up or do something to lower the impedance.

Sorry, but you are still not making sense (at least not to me). Why do you want to lower the apparent impedance of a crystal? The impedance of a crystal is high for a reason...

im not saying i want to lower the impedance of crystal i was just using it as an example mate. i bassiclly have like high voltage and low current of a circuit and i need to some how gain more current. one way was lowering the impedance of like copper (for example) which should higher the current or i was thinking like a transformer.

Daniel Floyd said:
im not saying i want to lower the impedance of crystal i was just using it as an example mate. i bassiclly have like high voltage and low current of a circuit and i need to some how gain more current. one way was lowering the impedance of like copper (for example) which should higher the current or i was thinking like a transformer.

Can you say more about the application? I'm worried that you are not getting good answers because we have no idea what you are asking about.

without full information it is useful to make an educated guess and 'we' can go from there.
It sounds to me (it did at the start) to be an impedance matching exercise.
Now that a crystal has been mentioned I am even more certain that it is a high impedance that needs connecting/matching to a low impedance. I don't know what the particular application is but now there is something to go on.
Voltage follower seems like a good start.

ok guys there is no application other then a simulation I am just playing around learning things, I bassiclly have multi-sim with an AC power source which is being converted into DC power using the full wave rectifier circuit but i want to be able to put a low AC current into the circuit and have a high DC current out of the circuit to get such a low current i have added a high impedance value but i was wondering if i could create a circuit to counteract this impedance or weather i could like use a transformer to step up current rather then voltage?
... has this made it any more clear.

Good luck Daniel, glad to have been of help.

truesearch said:
Good luck Daniel, glad to have been of help.

thanks mate I am just building the voltage follower on my multi-sim now.

Daniel Floyd said:
ok guys there is no application other then a simulation I am just playing around learning things, I bassiclly have multi-sim with an AC power source which is being converted into DC power using the full wave rectifier circuit but i want to be able to put a low AC current into the circuit and have a high DC current out of the circuit to get such a low current i have added a high impedance value but i was wondering if i could create a circuit to counteract this impedance or weather i could like use a transformer to step up current rather then voltage?
... has this made it any more clear.

You lower the impedance with a transformer, but you lower the voltage output also. You are not gaining anything.

If you have a high impedance output, you want to buffer it, use a voltage follower device. At that, this is a very general statement. You really have to have a solid idea of what kind of output signal, what output impedance it is, AND what do you want the output to be after the impedance transformation device. You are talking out of air right now and there is no one right answer here because nobody know what you are thinking.

Just because a device has high output impedance don't mean it cannot drive. The collector of a BJT has output impedance in the north of 10MΩ easily. It can drive plenty. It might be a wrong thing to do to put a voltage follower in this case.

Even if you are just doing simulation, you still need to know the condition and what do you want out of it, not just putting a voltage follower. I don't know Multi-sim, but someone here might know, attach your program so others can look at what you are trying to do. You learn a lot more by learning how to set the condition than just experiment on the device.

What does "the collector of a BJT has output impedance in the north of 10MΩ easily" mean ?

truesearch said:
What does "the collector of a BJT has output impedance in the north of 10MΩ easily" mean ?

If you use BJT in common base stage, you can get as high output impedance of about 10MΩ. You can get a least a few mega ohms with a bipolar transistor. It is a current device.

has this made it any more clear.

Only that you appear to be just fooling around with something you don't understand and are thereby wasting everybody's time.

You should understand that an multisim AC power source will supply all the current required of it by the circuit attached. You have already noted that you have controlled this by adding a high impedance.

In fact you have created a constant current source, for that is what one is. A perfect current source has a theoretically infinite imepedance.

Having added a high impedance you are asking us how to counteract this?

You say you want a low current in but a high current out and have been told that you can indeed do this with a transformer (although you have no need to) but you must reduce th voltage to do this.
Not to reduce the voltage would be to contravene the law of conservation of energy since power = voltage times current.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

2. Why is lower impedance important in circuit design?

Lower impedance allows for more efficient transfer of electrical energy in a circuit. This means that less energy is lost and the circuit can operate more reliably and with less heat dissipation.

3. How can I lower impedance in my circuit?

There are several ways to lower impedance in a circuit. These include using thicker wire or traces, reducing the length of the circuit, and using components with lower impedance values.

4. What are some common circuit solutions for lowering impedance?

Some common circuit solutions for lowering impedance include using bypass or decoupling capacitors, adding inductors to filter out high frequency noise, and implementing ground planes to reduce ground loop impedance.

5. Is there a downside to lowering impedance in a circuit?

While lowering impedance can have many benefits, it can also increase the cost and complexity of a circuit. Additionally, if not done carefully, it can lead to unwanted resonances and signal distortions. It is important to balance the benefits and drawbacks when designing a circuit with lower impedance.