Lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create?

• Thread starter Dennydont
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the student is trying to find the lowest pressure their lungs can create while sucking on a long tube that is initially filled with air. They are able to draw water up a vertical distance of 3.36m above the surface of the water in a bucket open to the atmosphere. Using the equation P = Po +ρgh, where Po is the pressure at point A (the bottom of the tube), P is the pressure at point B (the top of the tube), h is the height of point B above point A, and ρ is the density of the fluid (water in this case), the pressure in the tube at the same height as the surface of the water will be greater than the pressure at the bottom of
Dennydont

Homework Statement

A student sucks on the end of a long tube which is initially filled with air and whose other end is in a large bucket of water which is open to the atmosphere. They manage to draw the water up a vertical distance of 3.36 m above the surface of the water in the bucket. What is the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create?

[P(atmosphere)=105N/m^2, ρ(water)=1,000 kgm-3, g=9.81 m/s^2]

Homework Equations

Hydrostatic pressure, P = Po +ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

0 + (1000*9.81*3.36) = 33kN/m^2
This is my attempt at the problem. It's considered partially correct since this is the result of the water being sucked from the bottom of the bucket to the top, but it is not the actual pressure in the student's lungs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dennydont said:
P = Po +ρgh
Think carefully what each of those variables represents in the context of how you are applying the formula in this question.

haruspex said:
Think carefully what each of those variables represents in the context of how you are applying the formula in this question.
I had another go at the question assuming that Po = 105 (atmospheric pressure) but again, got the wrong. What am I missing?

Dennydont said:
I had another go at the question assuming that Po = 105 (atmospheric pressure) but again, got the wrong. What am I missing?
Equations have context. The equation P = Po +ρgh only works if the variables are matched up to the real world according to the relationships the equation assumes. In that equation, what do P, Po etc. refer to? And don't just answer pressure, height etc. What pressures? What height?

haruspex said:
Equations have context. The equation P = Po +ρgh only works if the variables are matched up to the real world according to the relationships the equation assumes. In that equation, what do P, Po etc. refer to? And don't just answer pressure, height etc. What pressures? What height?
I'm assuming the height is the vertical distance of 3.36m and 33kN/m^2 is the pressure when the water is being sucked from the bottom of the bucket to the surface, and NOT the pressure in the student's lungs. Is there another height that I need to account for? How would I go about finding it?

Dennydont said:
33kN/m^2 is the pressure when the water is being sucked from the bottom of the bucket to the surface, and NOT the pressure in the student's lungs
That's not clear - what pressure do you mean? The pressure at the bottom of the bucket? The pressure at the bottom of the tube? The pressure in the tube at the same height as the surface of the water in the bucket? A difference of two pressures?

haruspex said:
That's not clear - what pressure do you mean? The pressure at the bottom of the bucket? The pressure at the bottom of the tube? The pressure in the tube at the same height as the surface of the water in the bucket? A difference of two pressures?
The pressure in the tube at the same height as the surface of the water. I just want to know if there's another height that I need to account for?

Dennydont said:
The pressure in the tube at the same height as the surface of the water.
Ok, but it's wrong.
In the context of the general equation P = Po +ρgh, complete the sentence "where Po is the pressure at point A, P is the pressure at point B, h is the height of ... above ..., g is acceleration due to gravity and ρ is the density of the fluid at rest and occupying a continuous region including ... and ..."
Then see if you have used the equation correctly.

I also used 0 as Po, and have gotten this response from the assignment.

"This is the pressure difference between the top of the fluid in the tube and the bottom, not the pressure created by the student's lungs."

I'm not sure where to go from here...

Sam Fielder said:
I also used 0 as Po, and have gotten this response from the assignment.

"This is the pressure difference between the top of the fluid in the tube and the bottom, not the pressure created by the student's lungs."

I'm not sure where to go from here...
Please try to answer my question. Forget the problem posted for the moment, and try to understand what the equation says:
In the context of the general equation P = Po +ρgh, fill in the blanks in the sentence "where Po is the pressure at point A, P is the pressure at point B, h is the height of ... above ..., g is acceleration due to gravity and ρ is the density of the fluid; the fluid is at rest and occupying a continuous region including ... and ..."

haruspex said:
Please try to answer my question. Forget the problem posted for the moment, and try to understand what the equation says:
In the context of the general equation P = Po +ρgh, fill in the blanks in the sentence "where Po is the pressure at point A, P is the pressure at point B, h is the height of ... above ..., g is acceleration due to gravity and ρ is the density of the fluid; the fluid is at rest and occupying a continuous region including ... and ..."

"h is the height of point B above point A, ... , occupying a continuous region including point B and point A."

Sam Fielder said:
"h is the height of point B above point A, ... , occupying a continuous region including point B and point A."
No.
According to the equation, which is greater, P or Po? So will the pressure be greater at A or at B?
Which will be higher?

haruspex said:
No.
According to the equation, which is greater, P or Po? So will the pressure be greater at A or at B?
Which will be higher?

Well P is just Po plus an added value, so Po is less than P. Pressure will be greater at point B than at point A.

Sam Fielder said:
Well P is just Po plus an added value, so Po is less than P. Pressure will be greater at point B than at point A.
So which is higher, A or B?

haruspex said:
So which is higher, A or B?

In terms of Pressure? Well B of course. I would say point B is lower than point A?

Last edited:
Sam Fielder said:
In terms of Pressure? Well B of course. I would say point B is lower than point A?
I meant in height, so you agree A is above B. (But that is not what you answered in post 11.)

Now let's match it to the problem at hand. Pick two points to be A and B. State the equation in terms of pressures at those points.

haruspex said:
I meant in height, so you agree A is above B. (But that is not what you answered in post 11.)

Now let's match it to the problem at hand. Pick two points to be A and B. State the equation in terms of pressures at those points.

So P(B) = P(A) +pgh

Sam Fielder said:
So P(B) = P(A) +pgh
Sure, but I'm asking you to pick two points in the actual set-up to be A and B for the purposes of applying the equation.

haruspex said:
Sure, but I'm asking you to pick two points in the actual set-up to be A and B for the purposes of applying the equation.

So point B would be at the bottom of the straw. While point A would be at the top of the straw or the top of the liquid, or does it matter?

So then would we rearrange the formula to Po = P-pgh, and use this to find the pressure in the lungs of the student?

Because the pressure in the lungs has to be lower than the pressure of the atmosphere for the liquid to rise, so this equation seems correct to me.

EDIT: This led me to the right answer, thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
Sam Fielder said:
So then would we rearrange the formula to Po = P-pgh, and use this to find the pressure in the lungs of the student?

Because the pressure in the lungs has to be lower than the pressure of the atmosphere for the liquid to rise, so this equation seems correct to me.

EDIT: This led me to the right answer, thanks so much for the help.
OK!

Sam Fielder said:
So point B would be at the bottom of the straw. While point A would be at the top of the straw or the top of the liquid, or does it matter?
Yes, it matters. You need point B to be a place in the region occupied by the liquid and where the pressure is known.

1. How is the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create measured?

The lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create is measured using a device called a spirometer. This device measures the amount of air a person can inhale and exhale and can calculate the pressure based on the volume of air moved.

2. What is a normal range for the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create?

The normal range for the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create varies depending on the age, height, and gender of the individual. On average, a healthy adult can create a pressure of -80 cmH2O (centimeters of water) or higher.

3. How does the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create affect their breathing?

The lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create is an important factor in determining the efficiency of their breathing. If the pressure is too low, it may indicate a respiratory problem or a weakened respiratory muscle. On the other hand, a higher pressure can indicate good lung function.

4. Can the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create be improved?

Yes, the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create can be improved through regular exercise and respiratory muscle training. This can help increase the strength and endurance of the respiratory muscles, leading to an increase in lung pressure.

5. Are there any risks associated with measuring the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create?

No, measuring the lowest pressure that the student's lungs can create using a spirometer is a safe and non-invasive procedure. However, it is important to follow the instructions of a trained professional to ensure accurate results and avoid any potential risks.