Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LP 2 MP3: what do I need?

1. May 21, 2006 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sombody must've done this:

It is time to convert some of my vinyl LPs and EPs to digital. Aside from the turntable, what hardware and software will I need for the process. I use a Mac, but I have acess to PCs, so who's got tips and info?

Many aunties (TIAs) to you all.

Chi

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hardware: You will possibly need a preamp to go between your turntable and the sound card, depending on whether your turntable has one built in. You'll need a soundcard with a line level input, a cable to go from your turntable to the pre-amp, (twin phono to twin phono cable) and a cable to go from your pre-amp to your sound card (most likely a twin phono to 3.5mm stereo jackplug).

Software: I'm not up with Macs, but any sound recorder will do. I use the one built in to Windows to capture at CD quality, and then use either iTunes or Winamp to squish it down to mp3 if needed.

4. May 21, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Sound card".
    Sounds "PC"ish. Is there hardware that has a USB or firewire output? I googled this topic but got too many thousands of results. What's a good analog to digital interface for this purpose?

DAK industries has a nifty hardware/software deal, but it's not set up for Mac.

C'mon Mac people.

5. May 21, 2006 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/

Something like that will do the job nicely, a mate has one for her iBook and it seems to do the trick, not too expensive either. And the software that comes with it supposedly does away with the need for a pre-amp too.

6. May 21, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks like just the thing! Thanks in retrospect.

Well then.

That was fun.

Umm...

...thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?