1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lp Subspaces

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    I've been given an assignment question, where I've been asked to identify [itex] L_P[-n, n] [/itex] as a subpsace of [itex] L_p(\mathbb R) [/itex] in the obvious way. It seems to me though that this may be backwards, as if [itex] f \in L_p( \mathbb R) [/itex] then its p-power should also be integrable on any subspace of [itex] \mathbb R [/itex]. However, a function integrable on [-n,n] may not be p-power integrable on all of R. Do I have this backwards?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait a minute -- there isn't a restriction map from {functions on [-n,n]} to {functions on R}.... What exactly do you mean here, and is it really what you want?

Incidentally, note that while you defined a map Lp(R) --> Lp[-n,n], it doesn't identify Lp(R) with a subspace of Lp[-n,n], because the map isn't injective.

(But even if you had an injective map, it's perfectly okay for there to exist maps in both directions that make Lp(R) a subspace of Lp[-n,n], and Lp[-n,n] a subspace of Lp(R))

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook