Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LQG and the multiverse

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1

Science Advisor

In LQC (which is something like a toy moidel for LQG) one can derive the so-called big bouce scenario. As far as I can see it is common belief that LQG will lead to something similar. But couldn't full LQG be a "matrix" for a multiverse theory, where - due to quantum fluctuations - baby universes are spawned from a huge spin foam?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Tom I think so, but it is too late at night for me to think about this.
    I don't know what would be gained by a theorist developing this idea, but something MIGHT be gained. There might be seen some motivation.
    My bias is that I think we mainly want to understand this universe that we are in, as best we can, and as deeply as possible.

I can't see what the motivation would be for postulating a huge foam, out of which baby universes can spring. But I think some theorist might someday see a purpose to do this, and my intuitive feeling is that it would be possible to construct such a spinfoam model.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook