LQG and the multiverse

• Thread starter tom.stoer
  • Start date
tom.stoer
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

In LQC (which is something like a toy moidel for LQG) one can derive the so-called big bouce scenario. As far as I can see it is common belief that LQG will lead to something similar. But couldn't full LQG be a "matrix" for a multiverse theory, where - due to quantum fluctuations - baby universes are spawned from a huge spin foam?

Answers and Replies

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
In LQC (which is something like a toy moidel for LQG) one can derive the so-called big bouce scenario. As far as I can see it is common belief that LQG will lead to something similar. But couldn't full LQG be a "matrix" for a multiverse theory, where - due to quantum fluctuations - baby universes are spawned from a huge spin foam?
Tom I think so, but it is too late at night for me to think about this.
I don't know what would be gained by a theorist developing this idea, but something MIGHT be gained. There might be seen some motivation.
My bias is that I think we mainly want to understand this universe that we are in, as best we can, and as deeply as possible.

I can't see what the motivation would be for postulating a huge foam, out of which baby universes can spring. But I think some theorist might someday see a purpose to do this, and my intuitive feeling is that it would be possible to construct such a spinfoam model.