LR Circuit Data Logging: Measuring Frequency Changes with Inductance Variations

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with an LR circuit, where the inductance of the inductor is changed by bringing in a conductor. The goal is to see how the frequency of the circuit changes and what equipment is needed to collect, save, and graph the frequency data. The conversation also mentions the use of a multimeter or a capacitor to achieve resonance effects.
Neyolight
Heya Everyone

I decided to do some experiment with an LR circuit. I have an inductor in series with a resistor connected to a function generator. I will set the frequency to the resonant frequency of the circuit. Now, I will change the inductance of the inductor by bringing in a conductor close to the circuit. I would connect the voltage across the inductor to an oscilloscope to see the change in voltage.

What I am really interested in is to see how the frequency of the circuit changes as I bring the conductor close to the circuit. As the curcuit resonante at fundametal frequency- I expect to see a stright horizontal line in the frequency vs time graph. As the resonant frequency changes , I would expect some peaks in the graph. I understand the physics behind the circuit but totally lost on how to collect , save and then graph the frequency of the circuit. What equipment would I need ?

I believe some oscilloscope come with USB interface to a PC. I will probably buy that - still doesn't solve the problem of data logging. Can I somehow use the frequency data to obtain the inductance? Would be cool if I am able to do so

Thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
An LR circuit by itself will not resonate anywhere. The reactance of the coil will increase with frequency and with the inductance of the coil. XL = 2 * pi * F * L

So, if the reactance increases at a steady frequency, then more of the input voltage will appear across the inductor and less across the series resistor.

Real inductors do have some capacitance and the coil will probably resonate at some frequency, but you can't use this because you won't know the capacitance. It is usually quite small and the resonance frequency is quite high, depending on the coil.

If you have access to a multimeter that can measure inductance, you could just use that.

Or, you could place a capacitor across the coil, or in series with it, and then you will get resonance effects.

1. What is an LR circuit and why is data logging important for it?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both inductance (L) and resistance (R). Data logging is important for an LR circuit because it allows for the measurement and analysis of the voltage and current within the circuit over a period of time. This can help in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit.

2. How does data logging work in an LR circuit?

Data logging in an LR circuit involves using a data logger, which is a device that connects to the circuit and records the voltage and current measurements at regular intervals. These measurements can then be transferred to a computer for analysis and visualization.

3. What are some benefits of using data logging in an LR circuit?

Data logging in an LR circuit allows for more accurate and precise measurements compared to manual methods. It also allows for the collection of data over a longer period of time, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's behavior. Additionally, data logging can help in identifying any abnormalities or issues within the circuit.

4. What types of data can be logged in an LR circuit?

Data logging can record various types of data in an LR circuit, including voltage, current, resistance, power, and frequency. Some data loggers also have the capability to measure and log temperature and humidity.

5. Can data logging be used for troubleshooting in an LR circuit?

Yes, data logging can be a useful tool for troubleshooting in an LR circuit. By analyzing the data collected, any fluctuations or anomalies in the circuit's behavior can be identified, helping to pinpoint potential issues or areas for improvement.