1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LR Circuit Problem

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataIf You want to turn on the current through a coil of self inductance L in a controlled manner, so you place it in series with a resistor R= 2200 ohm, a switch, and a dc voltage source Vo=240 V. After closing the switch, you find that the current through the coil builds up to its steady=state value with a time constant T. You are pleased with the current's steady-state, but want T to be half as long. What new values should you use for Rand Vo.?

2. Relevant equations
    I= Vo/R (1-e^(-t/T))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I= 240/2200(1-e^(-t/T))
    I'= Vo'/R'(1-e^(-2t/T))

Since, I=I'

Can somebody point out what I am missing here? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

You have the formula for the time constant T = L/R. You need the time constant to become half... so what do you need the R to become?

The steady state value of the current is Vo/R. considering the change in R above, what do you need to do to Vo to keep the same steady state current as before? We don't want I = I'... we only want the steady state I to be equal to the steady state I'.
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Thanks...Got it...I was making it more complex than it was.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?