1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LR Circuit

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A typical "light dimmer" used to dim the stage lights in a theater consists of a variable inductor L (whose inductance is adjustable between zero and Lmax) connected in series with a lightbulb. The electrical supply is 120 V (rms) at 60.0 Hz; the lightbulb is rated as 120 V, 1300 W. (a) What Lmax is required if the rate of energy dissipation in the lightbulb is to be varied by a factor of 4 from its upper limit of 1300 W? Assume that the resistance of the lightbulb is independent of its temperature. (b) What would be the maximum resistance of a variable resistor (adjustable between zero and Rmax) which can be used in place of an inductor?

2. Relevant equations

I know the equations for RLC circuits, and I know P = (i^2)(R)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really just stuck. I don't really understand the question. Are we increasing it by a factor of 4 or decreasing it? Can someone get me started on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    I also know that P = V^2 / R

Taking the ratio of Pmax to Pmin we get

Pmax/Pmin = (Imax / Imin)^2 = ( (E/Zmax) / (E/Zmin) )^2 = 4

So

(sqrt( (R^2) + ((w*Lmax)^2) ) / R)^2 = 4

which implies that

Lmax = R / w (when we solve for Lmax in the above equation)

Thus, pluggin in for P = V^2 / R

we get ( (2V^2 / P) / w) = Lmax

Solving, I get Lmax = .059. Does this seem correct?

Now what about part b. Not sure about that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook