Analysis of an L-R-C Series Circuit

In summary: The summary of this conversation is: "In summary, there is a series circuit with a 175Ω resistor, a 12.5uF capacitor, and an 8.00 mH inductor, powered by a variable frequency and 25.0V amplitude ac source. To find the potential difference across each component at half the maximum current, one must first determine the phase angle between voltage and current using the expressions V = V_0\sin{(\omega t + \phi)} and I = I_0\sin{(\omega t)}. Then, use the relationship between V0 and I0 and solve for the value of \omega t when I = .5I0."
sully677

Homework Statement

An L-R-C series circuit is constructed using a 175{ \Omega} resistor, a 12.5uF capacitor, and an 8.00 mH} inductor, all connected across an ac source having a variable frequency and a voltage amplitude of 25.0V

At the angular frequency in part A, find the potential difference across the ac source, the resistor, the capacitor, and the inductor at the instant that the current is equal to one-half its greatest positive value.

Homework Equations

V=IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the voltage for all of them and divided by 2 since the current is half, but I can't get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
sully677 said:

Homework Statement

An L-R-C series circuit is constructed using a 175{ \Omega} resistor, a 12.5uF capacitor, and an 8.00 mH} inductor, all connected across an ac source having a variable frequency and a voltage amplitude of 25.0V

At the angular frequency in part A, find the potential difference across the ac source, the resistor, the capacitor, and the inductor at the instant that the current is equal to one-half its greatest positive value.

Homework Equations

V=IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the voltage for all of them and divided by 2 since the current is half, but I can't get the right answer.
You are incorrectly assuming that the voltage and current are in phase. You have to determine the phase angle between voltage and current.

AM

okay. so once the phase angle is solved for, where do you go?

sully677 said:
okay. so once the phase angle is solved for, where do you go?
Use expressions for V and I as a function of time eg.:

[tex]I = I_0\sin{(\omega t)}[/tex]

[tex]V = V_0\sin{(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

What is the relationship between V0 and I0? What is the value for [itex]\omega t[/itex] when I = .5I0?

AM

1. What is an L-R-C series circuit?

An L-R-C series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in a series. This means that the components are connected one after the other, with the same current flowing through each component.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing an L-R-C series circuit?

The purpose of analyzing an L-R-C series circuit is to determine the behavior of the circuit, such as the voltage and current at different points, and to calculate its impedance. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.

3. How is the impedance of an L-R-C series circuit calculated?

The impedance of an L-R-C series circuit is calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (ωL - 1/ωC)²), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and ω is the angular frequency of the circuit.

4. What is the significance of resonance in an L-R-C series circuit?

Resonance occurs in an L-R-C series circuit when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a lower overall impedance. This can lead to an increase in current and a decrease in voltage, which can have practical applications such as in tuning circuits and filters.

5. What are some real-world applications of L-R-C series circuits?

L-R-C series circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power transmission systems, electric motors, and control circuits. Additionally, L-R-C series circuits are utilized in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to generate and control electromagnetic fields.